Chapter Two: The Game Plan

Many thanks to LifeLustingDreamer for my Story Ad! I really love it thank you!

Present time

“So you said this is world wide, right?” Xavier had his hands wrapped around a mug of steaming coffee, little waves of bitter deliciousness evaporating into the air.

“Yup.”

“Then we could find a place that’s high enough to send radio waves to broadcast why the war should be stopped and there are other ways to set women free that isn’t through violence and death.”

It was actually a pretty solid idea, with how we can control the waves now. It could work pretty well. Which is why I had to knock it down to little specks of dust.

“Ah, no. Too many loopholes.” It’s been an hour since we arrived to Xavier’s apartment. He made coffee for himself while I marveled about ways I could leave this peace-seeking man on his own.

So far, I had nothing.

But I let him ramble on and on, idea after idea until I did come up with something. But it was close to midnight and I was getting antsy.

“Well, uh…” Xavier scrunched up his face in concentration. His eyebrows knitted together and wrinkles developed on his forehead. “What-”

I interrupted him with a pointed look and a raised eyebrow. “We aren’t going to figure this out in one night.” I shrugged my shoulders back into the leather couch. “Plus your ideas are getting pretty sloppy.” I was aiming to find his weak spot, but insults weren’t it. He just shook his head and slapped the heel of his palm into his forehead.

“Right, right. We better get some sleep.” He got up and walked across the pristine carpet that put to shame the cleanest of pearls. Xavier set the mug on the counter top that separated the living room from the kitchen with a half wall of elegant smooth black tiles and marble countertop. He walked back across the living room and disappeared into a room that branched off a hall to the left of the kitchen. I took the time to examine the chances of escape through any windows, and came up clean.

Xavier appeared with a giant blanket in his arms and a down pillow. He tossed it at me, hitting me with the pillow square in the face. My short cut hair fell forward in layered strands, standing up in different angles with static. “get as comfortable as you can.” He walked away and turned off the light with the switch near the hallway.

I glared into the night, angrily fluttering the blanket around my body. I threw the pillow behind my head and let my body fall against it. I turned to the side and let the cool leather press lightly to my back.

It didn’t take long for me to topple to the ground.

The muffled sound of my “Shit!” echoed after the Xavier’s stifled laugh. Chafed, I flung my hair back and fixed the blanket around my body. I grabbed the soft pillow that managed to somehow stay on the couch and pressed it against the carpet. I rested my head on it, and closed my eyes. Xavier’s laugh still rung in the dark, a deep sound that pounded against my eardrums, no matter how much distance there was between it and myself.

“Asshole,” I muttered. I let my body relax against the carpet, and as sleep gathered me in its thick black arms, Xavier’s laugh died out, replaced by a bloodcurdling scream.

~*~*~

My back was pressed against the yellowed wall of the operation room. My throat grew dry with every scream that I emitted from my lungs, praying that someone would come to the rescue. Scream after scream, tears collected at the corners of my eyes and my body shook with every second that the truth hammered my thoughts.