Chapter Five: Like a Ladybug on a Leaf

Kevin, Alan, Julius, Aaron, Carlos, Xavier and I all sat around in a small living room painted the color of lush green grass. The floor was made of old polished wood that had lost its shine long ago. The chairs were antiques, beautiful floral cloth covering the padding, and the coffee table in the middle of the circle of chairs had elegant carvings around the sides.

I looked around the circle at the Rogues, fixing my gaze just above the skin beyond their right ears. There, a black tattoo bulged. Long stems threaded with thorns intertwined from the tip of the ear to the bottom. A single rose slept at the bottom, resting in the shadow of an ornate “R”. The stems twisted into the "R" and the thorns weaved in and out, in and out. The rose was supposed to represent the women, alone. The thorns were the Rogues, protecting the rose from harm. It was so beautiful, and the words that I tried to speak were lodged at the bottom of my throat.

“So, what can we help the little miss here with?” Kevin arched an eyebrow in my direction. Everyone followed his lead.

“Well, you heard about the revolution, right? The war women are planning?”

“Of course. What kind of Rogues would we be if we hadn’t known about it,” Julius decided to pipe up next to me.

“Well, I need a favor.” I paused and rubbed the back of my neck in guilt. “And it’s sort of huge…”

“What kind of favor?” Aaron peered at me from an odd angle, stretching his neck out to look over Carlos and Xavier.

Out of nowhere, Xavier stood from his chair and looked at a few of the Rogues. “Where’s the bathroom?”

“Go into the hallway. There are four doors. One leads to the kitchen, and that’s the first one; the second one leads to a little closet; the third to the stairs, and fourth one is the bathroom.” Carlos directed him to the bathroom.

“Pretty Boy here won’t get lost, right?” Alan whispered to me from my left. I elbowed him in the gut. “Ow!” Alan rubbed at his side.

“Yeah, we don’t want you loosing the only person crazy enough to be your boyfriend, now do we?” Kevin smiled.

“Oh, don’t you feel clever?” I flicked his temple. “He’s not my boyfriend. I want to get rid of him as fast as possible.” I scrunched my nose up and rolled my eyes. “Besides, I don’t want a boyfriend.

“Now, listen to me, and listen very, very closely. Alan, Kevin, you too. All of you, get closer.” I waited until they leaned their heads in closer towards mine. “Xavier thinks I’m trying to stop the war. Do not make him suspect otherwise. And do not mention I created the plan. Do you understand?”

Aaron whistled. “Poor kid.”

“Do you understand?” Everyone nodded. “Good.” I sat back in my chair and let the guys settle back into their original places.

Xavier came back just then, and I began to feel a small pinch in my stomach, as if I felt guilty about something. I glanced around the circle of guys and announced the favor I needed.

“I’m going to need you to get into the white house for me.”

Everyone’s jaw dropped, and I mean it literally dropped. Even Xavier’s.

“I mean, it’s nothing illegal, right?” I tried to make the situation sound a little better. But by the way the men looked at me, I knew I failed.

“You want us to break into the only place in the country with the best of the best security, and you say it’s ‘nothing illegal’?” Alan sat back in his chair and whistled like a bomb falling from the sky. “I don’t know Chrissy, sounds a little complicated.”