Chapter 12

"I'll be fine on my own," Anne interjected nervously, her words tumbling out in a ramble. "Besides, I'm uncomfortable sleeping with someone in the same place. It's not like I dislike being with you or you're making me anxious! I just want to be alone for now...?" Her uncertainty was evident, sweat starting to bead on her forehead. You looked at her with concern.

"Are you sure?" you asked, studying her expression closely.

"Yeah," her voice squeaked out, rushing through her words as she hurriedly retreated to her respective room. Hesitantly, you bid her goodnight outside the door and then sprinted towards the group of friends you considered knuckleheads.

"Good evening to the two of you. Mind if I crash in your quarters tonight?" you greeted, purposefully ignoring Polnareff's presence as he fretted on the side, his complaints falling on deaf ears.

"Hello? Am I invisible here?" He exclaimed, frustration evident in his tone as he waved his arms for attention. "For all I know, there are three people standing here, but in case you're being blinded by your 400 grade eyeglasses," Polnareff quipped sarcastically, gesturing to your glasses. "I'll gladly remind you once again."

"Good grief, go away, kid," the dark-haired male grunted when you accidentally stomped on his foot. You looked at Kakyoin expectantly, who chuckled and ruffled your hair affectionately.

"Sure, and why don't we try those deck cards I bought before sleeping. Just don't cheat with your stand like you did before," Kakyoin said teasingly, swinging his right arm around your shoulder and putting you in a playful headlock. You coughed and laughed along with him.

"You do know, we Zeppeli, value honor. We don't need to resort to cheap tricks. For our family, it's simply about being a genius when it comes to strategy," you said with a hint of arrogance, flashing a confident grin as you straightened your posture, emphasizing your noble bearing.

"Please, think about what you want, Ms. I-am-the-best,"

Polnareff placed his thumb in the center of the bottom edge of the deck, shuffling the cards as he slid some off the top with his thumb to keep them in his palm. He began tossing the cards on each side, and you gathered them in your hand, slowly separating them.

Among the cards, you found 6 spades, 10 clubs, Jack, Queen, and Ace.

You spun the straw of your drink between your fingers, looking at your opponents with a sly smile. The round continued with you winning occasionally. Kakyoin pulled out his set of cards and continued spinning the dice, staying silent as he assessed the surroundings. Tilting his head, he contemplated which card to drop without the risk of failing another one. His thoughts were interrupted when you slammed your hand on the table.

"I can't believe you could do such a thing..." You tented your fingers and squeezed your eyelids shut. "Hiding the cards under your coat, Jojo, you daft!" The other two looked at him with disbelief. He grumbled and gave you a dirty look.

"Shut your crap. Could you even explain that pocket mirror on your left shoe?" He kicked your foot to prove a point, and you retaliated by hitting his shin.

"I obviously put that there to see if anyone was being a vile oaf. And Pierre, don't even think I haven't seen you mess up stacking the deck when the others aren't looking. You suck at being stealthy!"

"Ha! What the fuck did you say you br-"

"Everyone, calm d-" the red-haired teen's arms fell to his sides in surrender when both idiots continued bickering in front of him, your glares clashing from across the table.

"Mr. Joestar will surely hear about this. You're being rude to me when I'm clearly older than you! Show some respect, mustard head," Polnareff said through gritted teeth, his expression fierce with indignation.

"Go on," you prodded, swirling the carton of milk your butler packed earlier. "Let's see who he'll favor between the two of us."

"Just don't come back in the room complaining like a wounded seagull," you said with a smirk that melted into a wide grin.

Jotaro glanced at the three of you scattered on the bed, while he was left on the single couch, sitting awkwardly as he read a book he found on the shelves. The game came to an abrupt end when you all started cursing at each other in different languages and dialects. You rolled your eyes when Polnareff pulled the only blanket on the mattress, but you didn't bother to lift a finger to grab it back, feeling too lazy to bother.

"By the way, I was wondering how the hell did you managed to find Mr. Joestar? I mean, it just... doesn't make sense at all!" you stroked your chin thoughtfully, grappling with your short-term memory. They lay in silence for a while, awaiting your response, until you finally snapped your fingers in realization.

"Well, I learned more about Tio when my family was traveling in England. There are a few people who somehow know him personally," you explained, while you kicked Polnareff as he struggled to sit up, twisted sheets refusing to let go of his legs. After a bit of a tussle, he gave in and rolled onto the two of you. You groaned at the sudden weight, pushing his thighs away from your back with your stand. Panting, you muttered, "All of your intelligence went to your muscles," to the unbothered man, who now closed his eyes to rest.

"Did your parents tell you not to talk with strangers?" Kakyoin teased, earning an exasperated huff from you.

"Yeah, but I could always hex them into oblivion if they do something harmful to me."

"How unladylike."

"Yeah, yeah, anyway," you continued, "I've encountered a man who resembles Tio but exudes proper etiquette and manners. The resemblance is striking! He was incredibly pleasant and knowledgeable, even imparting facts about archaeology. Then there's a woman whose smile could light up a room like the sun. She shares the same warm personality as the gentleman!"

"Do you know their names?"

"Hmm, no, I haven't caught their names. I didn't bother to ask," you replied. "The only thing I knew was that they were a married couple who loved children." Polnareff opened his eyes as your words registered in his weary mind.

"You naive fool! What if those two abducted you and decided to sell your organs on the black market?" He retorted, and you shuffled comfortably on the mattress, taking a moment to ponder his words before responding.

"They wouldn't. I have a feeling we are connected in some sorts. It's too complicated to explain, so I won't talk any further regarding it."

"And hey! language."

"Obviously, it's French."

"Seriously? Goodness gracious, man."

"You're not British."

Unbeknownst to you all, a man listened in on your conversation, the exchange of insults and inside jokes continuing without a clue as to his presence.

☜☆☞

Here are some adorable illustrations of [Name] Ambroise Zeppeli II.