Chapter 21

The next day dawned with a soft glow filtering through the cracks in the walls of the dilapidated lodge. As you stirred from a fitful sleep, the events of the previous day flooded back, weighing heavily on your mind. Pushing yourself up from the dusty floor, you glanced around the cramped space, taking in the flickering remnants of the dying fire and the weary figure of Addams beside you.

Addams groaned beside you, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. "Morning already?" he muttered, his voice thick with exhaustion.

You nodded, casting a weary glance towards the remnants of the fire. "We should find something to eat," you said, your stomach growling in agreement.

Addams nodded, pushing himself up from the floor with a groan. "I saw a lake at the back of the shack yesterday," he said, his eyes lighting up with excitement. "Maybe we can catch some fish."

With a nod, you followed Addams as he led the way towards the back of the shack. Pushing through the dense underbrush, you emerged into a small clearing, the tranquil surface of the lake shimmering in the morning light.

Addams grinned, pointing towards the water. "There," he said, his voice eager. "Let's see if we can catch something."

You nodded, scanning the area for suitable materials. Spotting a fallen branch, you quickly fashioned it into a makeshift fishing rod, sharpening one end to serve as a hook.

After some time, Addams returned triumphantly, clutching a handful of wriggling worms and insects in his hands. "Found some bait," he announced, a hint of pride in his voice.

Addams set to work, fashioning a crude bait from leaves and twigs he found nearby. "I used to go fishing with my dad when I was younger," he explained, his hands working deftly.

You smiled faintly, the image of Addams as a child flashing through your mind. "Sounds like a peaceful way to spend the day," you remarked, your voice tinged with nostalgia.

As the sun climbed higher in the sky, you settled in by the water's edge, casting your lines into the depths below. The minutes stretched into hours, the stillness of the lake broken only by the occasional ripple of a passing fish.

Addams' excitement grew with each passing moment, his eyes scanning the water intently. "I think I got one!" he exclaimed suddenly, his voice tinged with excitement.

You turned to see Addams struggling with his line, a triumphant grin on his face. Rushing to his side, you helped him reel in his catch, a small fish wriggling at the end of the line.

But as Addams reached out to grab the fish, it suddenly lashed out, sinking its teeth into his hand with surprising ferocity.

"It bit me!" he cried, his voice filled with panic as he tried to shake the fish loose from his hand.

Addams screamed in pain, frantically trying to dislodge the fish from his hand. With a swift motion, you reached down and grabbed the slippery creature, wrenching it free from his hand before tossing it back into the lake.

As the fish flopped back into the water, you watched in surprise as it rolled its eyes in a disdainful glare before it slipped back into the depths of the lake.

"What the hell... just happened?"

Addams shook his head in bewilderment, nursing his injured hand as he turned to you with wide eyes. "I have no idea," he admitted, his voice tinged with disbelief.

As the day wore on, the atmosphere around the lake seemed to shift, an undercurrent of tension rippling through the air. You nervously glance at Addams as the water slowly began to rise, your stomach knotting with unease. Despite your growing sense of dread, Addams remained unfazed, his attention fixed on his fishing line as he murmured words of encouragement to himself.

"Come on, just a little closer..." Addams muttered, his brow furrowed in concentration as he focused on the bobbing float.

But as the water continued to creep higher, your anxiety spiked, and you couldn't shake the feeling of impending danger. With a trembling voice, you reached out to him, urging him to step back from the water's edge.

"Addams, we need to go," you insisted, your tone urgent as you grasped his arm tightly, trying to pull him away.

He, however, brushed off your concerns with a dismissive wave of his hand, his eyes never leaving the surface of the lake. "Relax, there's nothing to worry about," he replied, his voice laced with irritation.

But just as he spoke, his expression shifted abruptly, his eyes widening in shock as he followed your gaze towards the water. A shiver ran down your spine as you watched his face drain of color, a look of pure terror flickering across his features.

"What... what is that?" Addams stammered, his voice barely above a whisper as he recoiled in horror.

Before you could respond, a monstrous form emerged from the depths of the lake, its massive silhouette casting a long shadow over the water. Panic surged through you as you realized the full extent of the danger, and you instinctively grabbed his hand, pulling him away from the water's edge with all your strength.

But as you turned to flee, the creature's gaze locked onto you with chilling intensity, its eyes gleaming with a predatory hunger. Addams cursed loudly beside you, his grip tightening on your hand as he dragged you into a desperate sprint away from the lake.

Heart pounding in your chest, you ran blindly through the dense underbrush, the sound of crashing waves echoing in your ears.