Clair-de-la-lune

{Hi guys, it took a while to publish this but here it is. I said I was going to try to update every Wednesday, ehh well that failed. I'll try my best this week. That aside, I hope you enjoy this chapter. Lmk what you think :)}

~~

Sherlock walks through the front door of their flat and the first thing he notices is a strong scent of perfume. His mind immediately start wondering where he knows this scent from but it all goes a bit slower because of the amount of drugs he took. Usually, it only speeds up his thought processes, but then again he usually takes 7%. However this night he took 9%, which looking back on it, wasn't one of his smartest plans. It did feel necessary to be able to forget about Mary.

He did once do a study on perfume. He only did this because John came home smelling like women's perfume after his dates. Sherlock wanted to be able to determine what kind of person these women were based of of their perfume preference.

For his study, he frequently scooted closer to John and sniffed him. This sometimes led to uncomfortable situations. But of course Sherlock didn't really care because he was too busy conducting an experiment. Even though there was a predominant smell of women's perfume, there was also just a hint of John.

Then he would ask questions about the women, what their hair color is, age, job, hobbies and character traits. John always seemed delighted that Sherlock took that much interest in his personal life. Still, he was suspicious.

Then it suddenly hits him. MARY. He knows this smell all too well. He had to stop the experiment because of this very perfume. The last months John always smelled the same so the experiment had to be aborted. It simply wasn't fun anymore.

"Clair-de-la-lune"

French for 'light of the moon'. The name could be inspired by the song, or even the poem.

'Your soul is a moonlit landscape fair...'

All of the sudden he feels a hand touching his back. He jumps up a bit.

"What are you talking about, Sherlock? And could you keep walking, half of my arse is basically still outside."

Sherlock took one step forward and John closed the door and passed him to go up the stairs.

"Mary."

He immediately stopped and turned around, looking slightly worried and confused.

"She's here isn't she?"

John cleared his throat and went down a step, balling his fists in the process.

"You have to meet her."

"I don't."

"You are best man, are you planning on going to a wedding and never meeting the bride?"

Sherlock turned around, ready to leave again. But before he could reach the door, John had grabbed his arm.

"You're scared." John said, his voice trembling slightly. He pulled Sherlock's arm, making him turn around.

"No."

"Stop pretending you're not."

They look in each other's eyes, like they do so often. Sherlock remembers the time he became painfully aware about how often they do this. December 2.

*flashback*

Sherlock was calmly sitting on the couch, reading a book about bees. He got this book for Christmas. Even though he wanted to hate it, he secretly loved it. He adores bees. But the calmness was ruined by John's giggling in his chair. He had been doing it for the past hour and Sherlock just then became aware of it.

"Stop that." he said, trying to make him stop the giggling. It was annoying.

"You have to see this, Sherlock." John said, taking his laptop and walking over to sit next to him on the couch.

Sherlock himself, couldn't be more uninterested but decided to give it a chance anyway and put his book down.

"So, there's this thing called 'fanfiction'... Well, apparently a lot of people write stories about us. Like whole ass books."

Sherlock shrugged.

"About us?"

"Yes, like a lot."

"Talk about a waste of time."

Sherlock took the bee-book back in hand.

"No, no. It's actually quite funny. Many people think we are dating because apparently we have lot of 'eyesex'."

He practically threw the book down on his lap again and turned his face towards John.

"Eyesex? How would that exactly work?... Do you poke me in my eyes or something?"

He let out a little laugh.

"It seems that sometimes we look in each others eyes quite a long time, that's what they call 'eyesex'. But I guess that's just you deducing stuff, right?"

"Of course."

Sherlock stared in front of him, thinking. While John went back to giggling at his laptop.

*end flashback*

A sudden burst of warmth went through Sherlock's face, lighting his cheeks baby pink. Luckily John didn't really notice.

"Fine. Let's get this over with." Sherlock said and shook himself loose out of John's grip.

"Well, if you say so."

Before he went up the stairs, he turned around on more time.

"Yeah, John. You're really giving me a choice."

He turned around and ran up the stairs. 17 steps in total.

'Into battle'