Chapter 7

Chapter 7:

"Come on, mate," Ron said, patting him on the shoulder and guiding him towards the fireplace for their own trip.

There was a witch waiting for them on the other side. One he recognized only from the photograph.

"This is my wife Hermione," Ron said.

Harry smiled at her. "Nice to meet you."

She smiled back, but it was clearly strained.

Ron looped an arm around her waist, giving her a squeeze. "The three of us have been best mates since we were eleven."

"Oh," Harry said, wincing. "Sorry."

She shook her head. "Not your fault, Harry." She hugged him tight, and he awkwardly patted her shoulder. "I'm glad you're okay."

"Thanks," he said.

"I am curious how this works," she said, pulling him over to a sofa and sitting him down.

"Of course you are," Ron said, smiling fondly as he took a seat on her other side.

Hermione leaned forward, giving Harry a calculating look. "I mean, you must remember some things, or you wouldn't even be able to walk or do any basic tasks. I mean, do you know what two plus two equals?"

"I'm not sure Harry ever knew that," Ron laughed.

Harry rolled his eyes. "I'm probably perfectly average at maths, thank you very much."

"Can you read?"

"Yes," he said.

"What about magic?" she asked.

"What I've tried so far, yeah. But it's difficult."

"So you know you're a wizard."

"Of course," he said. How would he not know that?

"It's strange," she said.

"Honestly," Harry said, "I don't care what it is, I just want it fixed."

For some reason, that made her smile brightly at him. "Even your personality is the same. It's a good sign."

"Is it?"

"It all points to your memories still being there. You just can't access them. Or they're being suppressed. But they're still there, in your subconscious. Influencing your abilities and your personality."

He considered that. "Ginny mentioned that I've always hated hospitals. I don't know why, but I really did hate being there."

"What about your apartment?" she asked.

"Better," he admitted. Much better really, even if he still struggled at night. Maybe it was knowing he could come and go as he pleased.

"Safer? Comfortable?" she pressed.

He nodded, not sure what she was getting at.

"Memories of living there, maybe."

"Maybe," Harry said.

"Or..." she prompted, something shrewd in her gaze.

"Or?" Harry asked.

Hermione smiled. "Ginny. She makes you feel safe even if you don't know why."

Inexplicably, he felt his cheeks warm. "I'm not sure—"

Ron let out a laugh. "Don't worry, meddling is Hermione's base state. You find it charming and annoying all at the same time."