Chapter 1: Bleach & Antiseptic

Asher groaned out in pain as he smelled the strong scent of bleach and antiseptic. He felt nauseated and lightheaded. Asher was laying down on a hard, cold table. His arms and legs were strapped down. His mouth felt dry and on further inspection, he realized it was taped shut with duct tape.

With limited motion, Asher turned his head to look around the room. It seemed like he was trapped in some sort of lab and Asher was the subject to some crazy experiment. The lab was very clean and white.

Hanging on the wall on the far right was a clock that was painted with a pearl white color. It fit right in with the other room décor as the walls, floors, and even the table underneath him were painted in the same pearly white.

It was eerily quiet except for the sound of Asher's labored breathing and the mocking sound of the clock.

Tick tock...tick tock...tick tock...

'Where am I? How did I end up here?' Asher wondered frantically as he tried to break free from the tight leather bindings that strapped him to the table to no avail. No matter how much Asher tried to break free, he couldn't.

He tried to activate his lighting ability to form a lightning ball but after a long struggle, Asher realized that he was not able to use his ability for some reason. He put his head back down on the table and stared helplessly into the ceiling. He squinted his garnet-red eyes as he looked up at the bright ceiling light before closing them a moment later to think.

Asher eased the panic that was creeping into his heart like a thief by counting down from 10. He breathed out a deep breath. It worked. Now that he is calm and can think clearly, he slowly began to recall the memories that led up to this point.

The last thing Asher remembered was protecting his older half-sister Rene during an important S-ranked mission at Saint Ana Claire Hospital.

Asher and his teammate's mission was to gather medical supplies, samples, and data from the hospital to aid in the progression of the cure for the Z-virus. The hospital was a hot-zone, meaning it was infected with more than 4,000 zombies scattered across the hospital floors.

Saint Ana Claire Hospital was the first hospital to come in contact with patients that were infected with the zombie virus. Thus, it had valuable research papers, samples, and data about the early zombies.

The mission was a Rank-S mission because of this. The plan was to start clearing out zombies level by level, starting from the first floor. Although there were 10 stories in the hospital, they only needed to get to the 5th floor, where the testing had been conducted.

It was a delicate plan that if done well, should have taken no more than three weeks to complete, as their team had 25 ability users. All of them were at least rank 4, excluding Asher and Rene who were a higher rank than them.

Asher did not want to come on this mission, but he agreed to it anyway after his father requested him to go along with Rene in order to protect her. It was the first time his passive father ever asked him to do something, so he felt compelled to do so as he wanted to make his father proud.

Although Rene rarely came on missions, a Rank S mission at that, Asher knew she needed to come on the mission. This is because she, although 3 years older than him, was a famous doctor even before the apocalypse. Rene was a renowned genius. She graduated from medical school at the young age of 14 years old.

When the apocalypse occurred, Rene found out that she had the rare light ability that is capable of healing. Rene used this to her advantage to get on people's good side and soon she was hailed by all as a Saintess.

Because of this, she is an important piece in ensuring the mission goes smoothly as she can heal, influence the other people in her favor, and has the knowledge needed to collect the samples and data from the hospital.