39: Kennedy

"Sweetheart, let's go." Greyson groans from the foyer.

"One more minute. I swear." I turn in a circle in his bathroom and mentally check off everything.

Deodorant.
Perfume.
Brushed teeth.
Makeup.
Hair.
Outfit.
Present.
Phone.

I think I'm good.

I run out of the bathroom, through the bedroom and out into the hall. "I'm coming, I'm coming, I'm coming!" I scream at him.

When I round the corner his lips are pulled back in a poorly concealed smirk and I give him a weird look.

"What?" I ask.

He shakes his head, smirk growing. "Nothing. Let's go."

"Weirdo." I say under my breath, but not too quiet for him not to hear it.

He opens the door and lets me walk out into the hallway first and I press the elevator that's right across while he locks the door. I know he's moved to stand behind me—not because I heard him or saw him, but because I can somehow feel him. It's like my whole bodies programmed to know his every move.

His hands skim down my bare arms and I shiver as his fingertips caress my palms. I lean back into him unconsciously and drop my head to his shoulder.

"I'm sorry I took so long. I forgot to brush out my hair and if I didn't do it it would have been in ugly ringlets and I would have been sad."

My chest vibrates as he hums. "We wouldn't want that." His lips graze over my temple and down my cheek.

I try to respond but my tongue can't seem to move has his breath fans over my jaw and lips. At some point I tilted my head up to him. I look between his eyes and lips and try to control my shaky breathing.

His hands coast back up my arms and I watch his face as his eyes track the movements. One of them trails across my shoulder, up my collarbone and halts at the base of my neck. His cool fingers wrap around it gently and tips my head further up.

"I hope you know that if a single guy looks at you tonight I might lose it." His eyes drop to my chest and then over the rest of my body.

He opens his mouth to say something else but the ding of the elevator interrupts.

He walks me forward and turns us around, resting against the wall with my between his legs. I still get a little awestruck every time I ride in this elevator. With the glass walls and ceiling it feels big and bright and the black marble floors makes me afraid to accidentally walk in with muddy boots.

I catch Greyson's eye in the mirrored doors and then I watch as my whole face turns bright red because he is not looking at me the way he should be when we're on the way to his best friends 21st birthday party.

He looks at me like that a lot and every single time my face gets so hot it feels like I've been laying in the sun for 3 hours. Theoretically I know it's because he's... horny—wow I hate that word—but he hasn't tried anything, but that might have more to do with my reservations than his.

We almost did things a couple days ago, but I backed out at the last second. I couldn't help but compare everything to how Adam was with me, and I realized that he pressured me into everything we did. I wasn't a virgin when I met him, I lost it one drunken night freshman year and can barely remember it, but I was hesitant to do things. At the time I thought it was just how it was supposed to be and that I was being dramatic. Plus... it had just been really bad with Adam. I mean, I don't know what it's supposed to be like really, but I like to think the way it is in books can be real.