epilogue

The town of Storybrooke had many stories left to tell and many challenges to face but for one family, none of that mattered

Whatever curse had been put on them and then removed and then put back on them - they didn't even notice it. For the first time in a long time, they were happy and perfectly peaceful with the lives that they were living.

Jefferson continued working on his hats but not to create a portal, he began sewing as a career; creating not just hats but full suits for the people of Storybrooke; perfect for any occasion.

Alice continued her streak of having a different job each month, she made her way through the town and attempted every career path imaginable. Not just because she didn't know what she wanted to do but because this allowed her to float like a social butterfly and meet new people. That was what she loved, the social network of the town.

Dear Grace was attending school as normal, working hard to please her parents who were working hard to keep their new lifestyle maintained. She loved spending time with both of her parents, who were much more carefree than they had been in the Enchanted Forest.

They lived in the large mansion that Jefferson had been cursed into and many months were spent making the house feel more like home. The once spotless white furnishings had been covered with knitted blankets and fluffy rugs, with odes to their past lives hidden in the decor.

Jefferson was more than delighted when his family moved into the once lonely house, bringing a new air of excitement to the home. He no longer resented his house, he loved coming home to it and coming home to his family everyday.

The love between Jefferson and Alice grew stronger, they were able to catch up on everything that they had missed and apologised for the mistakes that had been made along the way. Despite spending so much time apart, it was as though no time had passed and their love was concreted as their family blossomed in this new world.

"Ready?" Alice asked as she waited at the bottom of the stairs, checking her wrist watch because it was almost time for them to leave the house.

"We're coming!" Jefferson called, finishing up Grace's braids before pushing her gently in the direction of the stairs because neither of them wanted to be late.

The couple would drop Grace off at school every morning together, it was part of their routine and they didn't plan on stopping it. As she would disappear inside the building, they would squeeze each other's hands to reassure the other that they were doing the right thing. They were living their best life.

"We're doing it," Jefferson sighed with a smile on his face, wrapping his arm around his wife's shoulder.

Alice smiled up at him, "I've never been happier."

It didn't matter that their family did not grow any bigger. They would never get back the life that they lost in the Enchanted Forest but now they were able to grieve properly together and move forward as a family. Instead of welcoming a child, the couple were proud pet-owners of Grace's large rabbit collection.

It had grown so extensive that the rabbits had their own room in the house, able to roam freely around and play/eat whatever they wanted. Grace had named most of them but forced her parents to help her when she had ran out of bunny themed names.

"Come on, mama, you have to name one."

Alice shook her head, "why can't your father do it? He's better at names than I am."

"I've already named three of them," Jefferson argued, "there's only a few left and it's the least you could do."

She rolled her eyes at their childish behaviour before looking at the lineup of rabbits. Looking down at them, she pointed to the whitest one. "Well, she'll have to be called Rose, just like the flowers that the queen painted red. And that one looks like he's smiling so he can be Cheshire. And that one...he's rather bigger than the others, isn't he?"

"He likes his food," Grace explained, giggling as both of her parents chuckled at her explanation.

"Right, we'll, for the rabbit who loves his food...what would suit him? Ah! I've got it! Michael Hare!"

Jefferson held his stomach as he rolled on the floor in tears, more than happy that his wife had said that about her ex-husband. Grace narrowed her eyes at the name but seeing how it made her parents laugh, she couldn't deny that it had stuck and her little fat rabbit had his name.

Although it didn't sound like the end of a normal fairytale and their lives were far from perfect - this was all they had ever wanted. They felt safe, secure and happy.

Their financial situation had evened out and they never had to worry about taking care of Grace because they would always have the funds to. Every so often, they would spend the weekend playing hide and seek in the forest; hunting for mushrooms and messing around to remind themselves of what their lives had once been like.

The past didn't matter anymore. The family were finally happy, they were finally back together and they lived happily ever after.

a/n: the final chapter 🥺 i hope you've all enjoyed this book - if you have then check out my other books! 🥰 -lizzie ⭐️

date published: 07/04/22