Chapter 6: Unredeemable

Rook had just finished telling Faith what happened when he looked down to see a shell of a woman looking down into her lap. No noise, not a whimper, not a sound of tears. Just nothing. Rook was almost hoping she would cry, the sound of nothing was far more impactful.

"Fa-Faith? Are you alright?" Rook asked Faith, placing his hand on Faith's back.

Faith sprung herself up from her lap and looked directly at Rook, her cheeks were in fact wet with tears that had run down her cheek. She almost looked upset at Rook. Though he couldn't quite understand why.

"Deputy, why am I here"?

"Wha-What do you mean why are you here?"

"I killed Marshall, he is dead because of me, and you still insist that I should have a second chance. Deputy...There is no reason why I should be next to you now sharing a moment with you. I should have died earlier when you killed me..."

Rook's heart sank deep inside his chest. He didn't know what to say back. Part of what she said was true. Rook was definitely holding anger. Marshall through all of the trouble was steadfast and understood the assignment. He did not waste his time, he did the job he should have done. And despite Rook not knowing the Deputy for more than all of a week, he fought alongside him regardless. He felt like a brother. When all was said and done. Rook was going to be friends with The Marshall for a long time past Hope County.

But he was certain in his belief that this was not Faith's fault. That the Bliss is a character in its own right. The Bliss is not some simply manufactured toxin. The Bliss too has its own morals and beliefs, and even Faith was subject to what it thought was the best way forward. Rook probably stayed silent for too long however because Faith became angrier.

"I drugged your friend Deputy! I made him something he was not. He could have had a great life and instead he is buried outside of the jail because I, and only I made him into a monster. Just like I made countless others into monsters...I shouldn't be here..."

Faith just looked away, almost upset that she had yelled at Rook, and finally, some more audible years began to flow down her face.

Rook did not wait to answer this time.

"Faith, The Bliss killed Marshall, it almost killed YOU too. This is not your fault. I lost a friend, but I already know I gained another one."

"And who is that Deputy?" Faith turned her head back to Rook, not wiping away her eyes from the tears showering down her face.

"Faith, you know it's you. I know that when I pulled you out of the Bliss I had made the right choice. I know full well the long road ahead to fix things for u-I mean you."n Rook fixed his sentence quickly but Faith caught on.

"What do you mean...us?" Faith looked at Rook in shock. She was dumbfounded, what did 'us' mean? It had only been a day that Faith and Rook finally talked for the first time personally with one another. She was confused, what did 'us' mean continued to roll around in her head, her tears stopped and she just looked at Rook.

"Faith-I...I really like you, you are extremely sweet, kind, and you are infinitely beautiful. I was almost hoping that maybe one day, as I help you, maybe...maybe we ca-"

"Deputy, it's time."

Rook was interrupted by Sheriff Whitehorse, who peered around the corner. Rook knew what he meant and stood up. Beginning to walk out of the jail cell.

"Wait...Deputy, what is it time for?" Faith asked, despite not receiving a full answer from Rook about 'us', she was more concerned with the mystery behind 'its time'.

"We are going to end this, and arrest Joseph Seed".

//I apologize for taking so long on this last chapter! I know this seems a little short but trust me the next chapter is gonna be nice, long, and full of surprises. Excited to share it with you soon!