Chapter 7: God Will Not Let You Take Me

Dawn has broken, the air is crisp, and the smell of due flows through the air. The drive to Joseph Seed's compound has been quiet. With the militia all but destroyed, the last of Seed's flock have congregated to the Compound to defend their messiah. Rook sits in the front passenger seat of the lead vehicle next to the Deputy, flicking a lighter open and close.

The Deputy looks over at Rook, who remains silent, emotionless. The day has finally come. Despite the fight for Hope County lasting all but a week and change, it felt like Rook had been there a year, and the jubilation of getting to finally end this nightmare escapade in Montana was gone. He had lost so many, even those whom he had known for all of today. The wounds cut deeper than any bullet or machete could.

He thought of the brothers, anger boiled deep in his mind, but he could not come to hate them. No, they, like the rest of the Hope County Militia, were once decent people themselves. No, only one man is truly to blame for the atrocities that had transpired over the last few months. Joseph Seed.

The Deputy kept looking back at Rook. He himself was feeling less than excited about what's to come. Despite all they had quickly achieved, and the countless lives they had saved, he too was not feeling the sense of victory, only the sense of finally ending everything. This fight, which at times was filled with the joyous sounds of laughter, cheers and the distant booms of fireworks as settlements and towns across Hope County had finally been taken back, was now somber. Had they really won? Or had they simply just got out alive. And even then, an even bigger question loomed, had they truly made it out alive. Physically yes, but mentally, that was uncertain.

Rook had decided to leave Faith behind at the Prison base. Despite all his emotions for her, he still did not truly trust her. What if this was all just an elaborate dream in bliss. Could Joseph Seed use her one last time to collapse the entire revolution. He just couldn't take the chance. Not that Faith fought the decision. As the resistance forces geared up the night before, Faith just watched. And as they left early in the morning, she stayed in her cell, no final words for anyone. Was it grief? Fear? Or was she feeling the same nothingness that the rest were feeling.

"Rook, forget what's happened the past few days, today, we end this." The Deputy said to Rook as the compound appeared distant in the middle of the lake.

"Deputy, I know what has to be done, I know that it will not be easy, but we will end this, now"

They arrived soon after at the compound, but the militia men they assumed would be waiting for them were nowhere to be seen. Not a sound came from the home of Joseph Seed. They parked the cars close to the church where it all began, and got out. Rook carried with him a 357. Magnum revolver, and Deputy the same. They were backed by a one dozen other resistance fighters armed for an all out assault.

They entered the church, and there he was. Joseph Seed sat there on his knees, waiting for them, he knew just the same as too what was to come.

"Amazing grace...

how sweet the sound...

That saved a wretch...

like me..."

Joseph Seed sang that now horrifying song as Rook and Deputy slowly approached Joseph, their guns gripped and lowered down. The song itself played in the background as well. The choir of Hope County echoing the rather dreadful acoustics of the church. The mood was tense, and yet calm. Some would say, chaotic.

"I once was lost...

but now am found...

Was blind, but now I see..."

Joseph stopped singing, his head down and eyes closed. In perfect synchrony, the song stopped too, now it was just silent. Joseph looked up to see Rook standing in front of him, with the Deputy shadowing closely behind.

"Rook...you came. I know what you are going to do, and just as before, God will not. Let you take me"

Joseph spoke out softly to Rook, calm and collected as always. Rook knew something was up, but he just didn't know what. But the thoughts in his mind did not move to emotions in his face. He stayed the same, but Joseph knew the fear lingered. Still, Rook pointed his head up, eyes still trained down at Joseph. He lifted a paper in front of Joseph's face, an arrest warrant issued by the Montana State Police.

"Joseph...Seed, I have a warrant for your arrest, for murder and kidnapping. Now I want you to stand up, and turn around, hands in the air."

Rook was just as calm and collected, but he knew just as well as Joseph knew, the fear was immense. This was all going too according to the plan. Where was the ambush? This was all too safe and sound. Regardless, without response or hesitation, Joseph did as asked, standing slowly with his hands in the air, turning around.

Rook handcuffed Joseph Seed for the second time, it was all deja vu too Rook, too much of the same. The crowd may not physically be there, but the non-existent eyes still judged him consciously. They began to walk out, again, amazing grace began to play in the background. Everything was perfect, and it all felt too ceremonial too Rook. He couldn't stop now and think however, he just had to continue the mission, just as Marshall would have done.

They stopped at the doors of the Church, Joseph smiled but said nothing, they opened the double doors, dusk had now turned too morning. It was a bright blue sky, and the sun was blazing, the sudden change in lighting created a flash. As the flash settled.

Another flash rang out.

*BANG*

Time slowed to a crawl as Rook looked out at Joseph Seed, who had a tail of blood spewing out the back of his head. The Deputy looked over in shock as well. Time quickly sped back up as Joseph Seed landed, dead on the hardwood floor of the Church. The Deputy and Rook looked back at the lifeless corpse of Joseph, as the blood began to slowly spread across the floor.

They looked back at the men and women waiting outside, but no one had their weapons drawn. In fact, they looked shocked too. In the corner of his eye, he noticed a woman standing in front with her weapon drawn. Rook slowly went from shocked to just nothing again, with his mouth open. It couldn't be, but it was.

It was Faith Seed.