Gamer

A/N: Imagine them being... *cringe*... partners

-

"You're dating?" Marinette cried, incredulous, bookbag slapping across on her desk Thursday morning as she steamrolled over Alya's overly-chipper (for pre-emtive damage-control), ''sup girl!?" "Why?!"

Welcoming smile dropping, Alya rolled her eyes. "I explained this yesterday. I didn't think you had much of a problem with it."

Well how could she tell? Marinette didn't speak for a good twenty seconds after the announcement before hauling forward with laughter until her sides ached. The serious expressions cut her off, then Marinette simply said, "I'll just process this. Bye!" And shut her bakery door.

She'd processed it.

"You're supposed to tell me it's a joke."

"No joke. I'm with Nino."

But she couldn't be. Sure, Marinette had no legitimate problem with Nino but Alya for sure did. They bickered, they didn't talk much, uh... um, she made fun of his haircut that one time! Point was, they didn't get along – so far, so what sparked it?"

"Ladybug locked us in a cage."

Ah... right.

"We just kind of... got over our differences. Our arguments were stupid. He's a really cool guy. Besides, I've sort of liked him for a while."

"What?" echoed, causing three classmates to turn their heads.

Alya grabbed her hand and hunched so her friend would keep her voice down. "Shh! I never told you because I couldn't even admit it myself, and I'm not too fond of telling everyone just yet."

Marinette's freckly nose scrunched. Indignation gripped her. "He's best friends with him, Alya."

She pushed up her glasses. "You know that's a childish thing to—"

But she was cut off.

Quite loudly, for that matter.

"—No! No! I don't believe you!" was the end of an indignant streamline from none other than Adrien Agreste—all tall and mighty with his gelled hair from a morning photoshoot and new designer shoes—as he pushed open the door with his back, not ceasing his stare-down with Nino, who walked in a second later with a brow of worry. Before he could utter anything back, Adrien's head snapped towards the wide-eyed girls in the second row.

This time, the glare nailed them both.

"It's the truth dude." Nino took off his cap and carded a hand through his hair, head low. "I wanted to tell you sooner, but I didn't know how you would react."

Marinette, for one, sure knew how he'd react. In his horrified glory, she looked straight at how she'd predict his taking to the news; or rather, she stared into a mirror. It encompassed her raw crossness and betrayal.

Nino and Alya—their best friends—were dating.

She was fine with their relationship—they were happy (weird, but happy)—it was everything knew that would come after that caused the wound in both Adrien and Marinette's backs.

Because consequently, they were going to seeing a lot more of each other.

And they knew this. Everyone knew it. No amount of time, energy, or love in a friendship could dare rival the sickly-giddy feeling that came with wanting to spend every moment with the person you Venmo-ed your care towards. Marinette explored new spots in the cafeteria when Adrien would beat her to Nino and Alya—after all, they both couldn't be there (she had watched Kim skull three Vietnamese noodle soups that week because of Alix).