3| Who We Are

What I had left here
I just held it tight
So someone with your eyes
Might come in time
To hold me like water
Or Christ, hold me like a knife

What I had left hereI just held it tightSo someone with your eyesMight come in timeTo hold me like waterOr Christ, hold me like a knife

Analia Quinn Palacio

Apollo's estate is far enough from the city that you can see the stars. The manor sits on acres upon acres of land, with vast green hills surrounding the property. We were secluded from the rest of the world, away in a bubble.

It's beautiful.

My room faces the back of the property, overlooking the large garden. The wall is made of floor-to-ceiling windows, letting the sun shine through into my space.

My walls are still white, but my duvet is now a lilac purple, and my sheets are now gray silk instead of white cotton. There's an en-suite bathroom, along with a walk-in closet and a set of doors that lead to a whole different room, one where a grand piano is stationed, a door leading out to a balcony right to the side of the instrument.

When the plane landed, Apollo was standing outside, leaning on his car, and two other vehicles next to him. It was strange, walking up to him, my bag slung over one of my shoulders. He had grown so much since I last saw him. He'd just turned twenty-two. There was a new sense of maturity in him, in the way he carried himself. He's Lord Palacio, after all.

He disappears into his office once the team and I are shown to our rooms. The thing about Apollo is he doesn't hover, doesn't pull.

I turn on my heels and walk to my bed. A king-size canopy fit for a princess. I slip off my shoes, crawling to the center, where Florentine was haphazardly tossed. I sit with my legs crossed, the stuffed bear in my lap, and I start to cry.

It's a silent release, tears slipping out of my eyes and down both cheeks.

I'm in a strange place, about to be surrounded by strange people. I'm overwhelmed. I'm tired- I'm scared.

It's been well over ten years since the abduction, since the brutal murder of my mother and father. Over ten years of nothing.

The missions, training. Those kept me busy. Kept my mind on a tight to-do list, but no matter what I did, how hard I have trained, how good I am at what I do. The unsolved capture and murder of half of my family continues to haunt me. The lords executed their investigation, which consisted of pointless interrogations and senseless murders. Whoever is to blame for the death of Dante Palacio and Sofia Montero is still out there.

The Dragos watched on when Apollo made his return, checking in periodically, and keeping tabs on all the lords, heirs, and generals. Nothing happened. So, the decision was made to deploy me.