38

Gabriella.

Jason tapped the steering wheel to the beat of the music that was softly playing from the radio. He'd glance over at me every once in awhile as he drove down the highway, passing by cars with ease. We hadn't said much since we left the house and if I was being honest, it was quite awkward. Jason and I never were really close so going out with him just for pleasure was weird and something I'd never thought I do. It wasn't easy with him like it was with Justin. I knew this wasn't a date or anything and I just agreed to go because I wanted to get out the house, but I was starting to think that I should've listened to Roxy.

"Are you okay?"

I looked up to see Jason glancing at me from the driver's seat. I nodded unconvincingly, reaching to turn down the music a little so I could attempt a conversation. He told me his feelings for me, twice, but for some reason it was so hard to believe. I don't think I could ever forget how much of an ass he was.

"Honestly, I can't wrap my head around you having feelings for me." I told him truthfully. I played with the gold heart around my neck and waited for him to respond. He shifted in his seat, obviously uncomfortable, but I didn't really care.

"Me either..." He admitted. He cleared his throat and I could tell it was taking everything in him to attempt and open up to me. "The first time I told you that I cared about you, that was my first time actually admitting it to myself and saying it out loud. I tried like hell to not think about it, but it always kept coming back twice as hard." He revealed. "You're almost impossible to hate." He finished with a roll of his eyes.

"I know." I said softly with a smile, actually feeling a little less tense. Jason glanced at me, shaking his head with a smile creeping on his face.

"Big, bad Jason McCann actually smiling because of little ole me. I thought I'd never see the day." I teased as Jason got off merged left and we reached a stop light.

Jason smiled reaching over and grabbing my hand. He was hesitant at first, but when he noticed I didn't flinch or pull away he intertwined our fingers fully.

"I am the big bad Jason McCann. Let's not forget that." He said smoothly, rubbing circles on the back of my hand and I felt like my body ignited with fire. If I'm being honest, Jason touching me always had a certain affect on me. I just never wanted to admit it out loud.

Feeling more at ease, I relaxed into the seat, laying my head on the headrest.

"So, where are we going?" I asked.
~~~~

I know we're supposed to be laying low, but when Jason brought up taking me out, I figured it would be out to dinner or maybe even a movie. But this...this was not what I was expecting.

"Okay, I know how it looks, but trust me it will be fun. We're still on the run, but I figured this would be the best and most safe option for us." He explained, glancing in my direction. He bit his lip nervously, a hint of frustration gracing his features as he waited for my response.

I looked around, speechless, taking in the scenery and not knowing how to feel. I haven't been to one of these since I was a young girl and my mom was alive, at that moment I couldn't stop the tears from bubbling in the corner of my eyes.

Jason sighed out of nowhere, pulling me to him, cupping my cheeks in his hands and looking down at me with an annoyed, but worried expression.

"I know you're a crybaby but this was supposed was supposed to make you smile." He whispered, wiping the fallen tears with the pad of his thumb. "We can leave, I set up a backup date just in case—" He started, but I immediately cut him off.