I

The last wisps of firedust crackled in the air before becoming one with the wind, a temporary current generated by the one and only outlander of the world, Lumine. The commission of handling the fire abyss mages were done for the day, but Lumine still felt the adrenaline pump in her veins.

Maybe I could take a jog around the Inn, she thought, eyeing the grand building that somehow, still managed to hold its weight even after losing most of the floorboards.

Lumine made her way to the back of the inn, doing some light jumps to get herself ready. However, when she was about to sprint, she heard the commotion of battle and the cries of the unusual.

She hurriedly ran to the scene, sheathing her sword and landing a blow on the first hilichurl she saw. Once she tumbled over, she sliced to her right and kicked to her left simultaneously, successfully stunning the monsters on both sides. Finally she casted her burst that swirled the enemies in a mini tornado that sent them off twirling in the air until they became nothing but ashes.

Lumine heaved a deep breath after all the action. As she unsheathed her sword, she noticed in the corner of her eye, a familiar glow of green emanating from the wrists of a male. It only took her a few seconds to recognize the pearl and teeth necklace, the doom-like mask hanging off his belt, and the pair of golden, scathing eyes.

"Xiao!"

He did not look happy. It was then Lumine saw he was gripping on his spear, which was still in flames of green and black.

"Oh. Were you—"

"Yes. Until you unceremoniously interrupted me." He said, putting away his weapon. "It was fortunate we didn't come in contact, or else my karma would've tainted you. So, if there is nothing else, I'll be taking my leave."

"Wait! Why are you so eager to leave?" She said, catching his robe. Xiao looked disgruntled, and Lumine backed off. "All right, sorry. It's just, we barely saw each other after that whole fight. And, I never got to properly thank you for saving my life."

He was silent for a moment, before nodding slowly. "You didn't have to, but I accept your thanks. After all, it is my duty."

"Can't I treat you to something? Or be of help to you at all?" She asked, leaning on her sword. "The commissions I get are actually quite boring. The most I go up against are abyss mages, and that's it. I feel like there's more powerful monsters that should be dealt with permanently."

"I'm supposed to handle those. You just continue what you're doing, and you're already helping me lots." Xiao said his final comment and leapt off, catching Lumine off guard.

"He's green, and he jumps high... just like a frog!"

As Inazuma still has its borders closed, Lumine had pretty much nothing to do other than commissions. Sure, she has her Serenitea Pot to dwell in, but even then she wanted a companion to travel with, or at least go out and do something that actually has an impact, like defeating Abyss Heralds.