III

“What brings you here today, traveller?”

Despite them being in a funeral parlour, the atmosphere was rather light and cheery. The afternoon sun streamed in from the bare windows, casting brilliant rays of light onto the tiled floors and the glass table where Lumine and Zhongli sat around. The 77th director, Hu Tao had purposefully wind up the rice parchments (that veiled the windows to reduce the intensity of the light), making her employee groan as every turn of his head would be met with a blinding reflection.

Lumine took a sip of green tea, shielding the glare with her palm instead. “I heard from Baizhu that you hold some strong medicine for pain. I was wondering if I could have some of it?”

Zhongli frowned, and regarded the outlander with caution. “I do have them. But why would you need medicine of that sort? It’s not meant to be consumed by mortals.”

“It’s not for me. It’s for Xiao.”

“I have already given him this month’s due.”

This caught Lumine off guard. She fiddled with her cup as she said nervously, “Ah… did you?”

He nodded. “Unless his pain was so unbearable that it wasn’t enough, that would explain why you came to get more of it. But even so, Xiao wouldn’t send you all the way here for this. He hates to trouble mortals with his own affairs.”

Zhongli leaned forward, a sharp, inquisitive look in his eyes. “Why do you need the medicine, Lumine?”

Her heavy breath sliced the rising steam from their cups. With resolution, she put down her tea and looked at him.

“Zhongli, this will need to stay between us.”

He nodded again, and gave her his utmost attention.

The afternoon tea had gone lukewarm when Lumine finished her tale. When the final words sunk in, Zhongli now looked upon her with newfound respect, as well as sympathy.

“I commend your bravery for going this far to help him,” he said, reaching for his drink. “To get that stubborn adeptus to open up must’ve been difficult.”

“I’m glad someone else shares that sentiment,” Lumine scoffed. “But Zhongli, what do you think of my theory?”

The retired archon pondered a while longer, circling the cup in his hands, before finally giving his answer. “If everything you told me has been true, then I agree with your hypothesis. I see no other way to explain your current situation.”

Hearing this, Lumine fell back in her seat with somewhat satisfaction. She felt clever to have figured it out, but now a dilemma—a heavy one, at that—was dawning upon her. She went quiet for a while, and when Zhongli noticed her silent mulling, he spoke.

“You’re wondering if you should tell Xiao about this?”