IX

! all events that occur in this short story are all headcanons, and they do not reflect on the actual lore or story of genshin impact !

Chains of black and crimson came into vision, wrapped and ensnared around Alatus’s limbs. As Zhongli chanted, they burned, creating a network of flesh-eating flames that travelled every inch of his body. They seared through his skin and scalded his bones, trapping him in an unending inferno.

Alatus’s cries were blood-curdling. He stumbled towards the both of them, clawing and pounding at the divine barricade, slicked with sweat and tears, feral with pain.

“STOP! STOP THIS!”

Lumine brought her hands to her mouth. She was paralysed, completely terrified of the scene before her. Alatus cried and moaned like a tortured child, and all the while, Zhongli continued to chant.

A heart of stone, she thought as she stared at the man. This is the Geo Archon.

She hesitated to ask. “Zhongli… when will this end?”

“Until I declare he’s under control,” he answered, eyes unwavering. “Alatus has violated the rule I bestowed upon the Guardian Yakshas—to protect the citizens of Liyue and do no harm to them. Lee Hui was his cardinal sin, and that has caused his karma to transgress beyond what he could normally tolerate.”

Zhongli focused more of his energy onto the ablution. “If I let him be, he would no sooner be turned into a raging spawn of wrath and destruction. This is the only way to prevent that now.”

Alatus’s voice was growing weak. He couldn’t even speak proper words anymore. All he could do was writhe and squirm as the chains burned a brighter white. 

Lumine sucked in a breath. “Will he die?”

“I will prevent that as well.”

Then, as Lumine braved another look on Alatus’s form, they locked eyes—and this time, it was someone else.

The gold was soft and familiar.

“Zhongli… Zhongli, stop. STOP!” Lumine screeched, bolting for the barricade. “IT’S XIAO!”

But she hit her head in thin air. She stumbled back, momentarily dazed, then pressed her hands onto the invisible wall.

Lumine turned towards Zhongli, panicked. “Why are you continuing? He’s back! It worked!”

“No matter if it’s Xiao or not, he’s still not stable. I will continue until his karma is at a safe level,” spoke the archon finally.

He did not respond to her pleas after that. Desperate, Lumine tried to hack at the wall with her sword, but it only caused another shockwave, knocking her back on the grass.

She got up to try again, putting all her will and might into driving the sword through the barrier. But just before she made contact, she caught Xiao’s gaze.

The flames were still ablaze; his body was still twitching. His face was contorted in pain, but he wasn’t screaming. Then, as if she was imagining it, Xiao mouthed her these words:

“It’s okay.”

She felt her heart break. Tears cascaded down her cheeks as she slashed at the wall, only to be blown back again.

Xiao raised his head in spurts of energy. The flames still chewed at him, singing away at his skin and mind. It was harrowing to stay sane, let alone form a coherent thought amidst all this chaos. 

And yet, he smiled at her.

A gentle, crooked smile, lips pressed tight and clinched as the fire swarmed him.