II

It has been a week since Xiao accepted Lumine's help.

By magic, the toll of karma on him had considerably decreased. It could be because there was no need for anymore hiding, or holding up a tough facade in front of her.

Sitting on the doorsteps with a ragged cloth in hand, Xiao wiped the blades of his spear again, polishing the weapon until it reflected his stoic face. But gone was the scowl that had been engraved for as long as he could remember, and now his sharp gaze had a more softer, tender meaning to it.

“Xiao—! Are you done?” called a voice from inside. The yaksha turned to see Lumine closing the door. She was dressed in her usual combat attire, wielding an Aquila Favonia that shone a blue hue.

Xiao put away his weapon. “I'm done. Where are we off to today?”

“Let's see…” Lumine pulled out her map and pointed an index finger at a purple symbol. “Near Cuijie Slope. I think this commission has something to do with Ruin Guards. Next would be…”

But Xiao wasn't listening further, as something else caught his attention. Frowning, he caught the billowing fabric of Lumine's outfit.

“Won't this be a nuisance in battle?”

“The cape, you mean?” Lumine replied without lifting her eyes from the map. “It hardly gets in the way. Xiao, listen. Next we're—”

“No, even if it hasn't been a nuisance, there's no guarantee it won't be one in the future.” Xiao went behind her and pulled on the dual capes. “Continue with the briefing. I'm listening.”

“What are you going to do? Cut it off?” She asked sharply.

Xiao sighed. “I’m merely tying it together. Unless you really don't want me to?”

Lumine considered for a moment, then shook her head. “Go ahead. It's just that this outfit is probably the only thing left of my brother. That's why I always wear it.”

Hearing this, Xiao softened his touch on her capes. “I’ll handle it with care. Don't worry.”

She smiled, grateful. “Now, we head to Lingju Pass next…”

With one final blow to the core, the Ruin Guard fell back in defeat, before withering away into dust and ash.

Lumine sheathed her sword and yawned. “That's done. Wow, I think you tying my capes actually made me feel lighter.”

"I'm glad it was of use to you," Xiao said, dusting off his spear. “Lingju Pass next?”

She checked the map again, but noticed something she overlooked last time. “Um, Xiao?”

“Yes?”

“Will killing hilichurls add to your karmic debt?”