Chapter Twenty-Two: Reminisce

Katsuki stood on the first place platform, the tallest of the three, bandages wound around his hands and forearms. Icy Hot to his right was slightly shorter, looking pensive with plaster on his neck and cheek, and Kirishima was to his left, the shortest of the three and looking near tears. He really, really didn't want to rub his win in their faces - especially Icy Hot - but he figured he could indulge in feeling the tiniest bit smug. His smirk was threatening to turn into a wide grin every second, and his posture was proud and tall, the entire stadium cheering his victory. He could hear his class going wild for them, his group's loud whistling and shouting distinctive even from all the way up on the bleachers. The sun was bright and shining, the crisp wind blowing his hair out of his face. His heart felt full.

This wasn't just for him. It was for Deku. It was to prove not only to himself, but to his best friend that he could be the best without fail, without needing to tear others down to get there. That he would. He had already made steps, but that was correcting himself, not moving forward.

Now, he could say he was moving forward.

All Might was there to give them their medals, plaster across the bridge of his nose like it had been broken, and Katsuki was two minds about it. On one hand the little kid in him was fit to burst with joy and excitement, cackling and cheering at having his idol recognizing him in such a way. On the other hand, however, Deku hadn't gotten better with his behavior around him, and when someone like Deku was that quiet, that cautious, it was best to be on guard. Admittedly, a very small part insisted in the moment that Deku was probably overreacting, but Katsuki very firmly told that small part to shut the fuck up. After all, if Deku were to overreact where All Might was concerned, it would be hyperventilating with excitement, not shutting down.

All Might approached Kirishima, the third place medal in his hands, and placed it around his classmate's neck, talking quietly to him. Whatever he had said finally made the dams burst, and Kirishima flipped between sniffling and laughing, an ecstatic grin on his face as he clutched the medal like he couldn't believe he'd gotten it. He approached Icy Hot next, placing the second place medal around his neck. Katsuki still couldn't make out what he had said, but it made Icy Hot smile, giving the man a nod in return.

Then All Might turned to him. The first place medal was sparkling gold, shiny and bright, and Katsuki felt his chest swell with so many emotions he couldn't put a name to each one.

Young Bakugo, he murmured quietly, his trademark grin softening into something more genuine, you fought hard and well. I am honored to give you this first place medal - you've earned it. The medal was placed around his neck, All Might patting his chest, and it may have been added weight but Katsuki had never felt more free. Your potential is incredible. I'm excited to see what you do in the future.

Katsuki swallowed, trying hard not to give in to his closing throat. He would not cry on live television. His parents would never let him hear the end of it.

Tenya felt as though the train was going at a crawl. It knew he was in a rush, it had to, but all he could do was bounce his leg restlessly as the train crept ever closer to Musutafu's hospital. He barely had time to dress out of his hero costume and dart to the train station before the train left, but now he had wished he had used his Quirk to just get there already.

His hand was clenched tight around his phone, sweating, shaky.

The moment the doors opened he escaped in a flash. The wind tore around him as he rushed to the doors, bursting through, demanding to know where his brother's room was. The nurse told him, attempting to soothe, to apologize, something, but Tenya wasn't listening and didn't care. Instead he forced himself to run normally up the stairs and down the hall, forced himself not to use his Quirk - he was in a hospital for god's sake oh my god he was in a hospital his brother was in the hospital no no don't think too hard on it you missed the room go back!