Chapter 2: Colony Allura

Welcome to Chapter 2

------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 Days later...

Max stood on the flight deck on the SDF-1, his clothes and hair blowing in the wind. The sun was beginning to rise, golden light enveloping half the sky, while the other half behind him was dark. It looked like a battle between light and dark was happening above him. He chuckled to himself, then looked around him. People were finishing up the last of bringing in supplies, with the occasional pilot running across the deck. He folded his arms in as he watched.

"So this is it... huh..?" A voice behind him caught his ears, and a saddened one at that. He looked back to see Katie in her director's uniform slowly approaching his side.

"Yes... We will be leaving within the hour," Max nodded as he looked back to the mess below.

"It's not too late to stay here, with us... with me," she looked away from him.

Max pulled her into a hug, though she did not wrap her arms around him, "I have to do this for Humanity's future. And besides, I can't take you with me because you, your brother, your dad... they're too important to Earth's development to take with me. Plus, the SDFN class of ships were designed to do this anyway."

"I know... I... I don't want to lose another one of my family in space again..." Katie spoke, muffled by her face in his chest.

"I... I'll come back soon," Max looked away, not wanting to make any promises.

"Speaking of which," she spoke as they broke away. It was the first time Max could see she had puffy red eyes, telling him she had been crying for about an hour, "do you know how long you will be gone?"

Max placed his hands in his pockets, "honestly... I don't know... I could take months... maybe a year or two..." She noticeably flinched when he said a year or two. Max sighed, "I... I can't promise that I will return... but, I will try to be back as soon as possible."

"You better..." Katie muttered, barely audible for Max to hear.

"Admiral Holt sir!" Another voice caught both of their attentions. They turned back to see an officer saluting, a datapad in his left hand, "all supplies are loaded into the ship and all crew and fighters are accounted for!"

"Thank you. Prepare the ship for departure, that will be all," Max ordered as the officer saluted again, then marched off.

"I guess I'll leave you to it then... be back soon," Katie slumped over as she walked over to her fighter. As she hopped in her canopy and her engines roared with life, a voice in the noise caught her attention.

"HEY!" A shout from Max caught her ears, "I LOVE YOU." His hair and uniform fluttered loosely in the wind that her fighter generated. He held his left arm out in front of him in a makeshift shield.

"I love you, too..." she mouthed as her canopy closed, and she rose into the sky before taking off towards the West. Max watched her fly off into the distance, a frown casted on his face.

"Admiral Holt, we are ready to begin ascension protocols on your orders, sir!" A bridge officer called through his comms on his watch.

"I'm on my way." He spoke as he turned to leave the flight deck. He glanced back one more time to where Katie disappeared from view before sighing and continued to walk away.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Max entered the bridge, he walked over and sat in his chair, viewing the city that surrounded the massive vessel before pointing at the helm officers.

"Take her up!" Max shouted. A flurry of orders soon bellowed from all the bridge officers.

"Engine output is increasing!"

"All personnel to take off positions!"

"Outer Dam Systems are engaged for the City!"

"Engines are at 80%. 90%. Admiral, Engines are at full power!"

"The fleet is standing by at Lunar Outpost Omega. They're waiting on the Macross."

"Good," Max said, "initiate the take off sequence, get her out of this lake!" The Macross slowly began to shake as the waters around its legs began to form waves.