Chapter 5: The Prodigal Daughter

Word Count: 2058

Your eyes opened slowly, last night's activities leaving your stomach aching, your mouth dry and sour. Your hair fell in front of your eyes as you sat up, blanket falling down into your lap. The room in front of you was a familiar one, though not one that you expected to find yourself starting your morning in. Your eyes scanned Silco's office, half expecting to see him lounging in his desk chair, head back and taking a long drag from one of his cigars; you saw no such site.

In fact, the room in front of you was surprisingly empty, quiet.
Not even Jinx was there to poke and prod at you, to wonder why you had spent the night in her dad's office. Why had you spent the night in her dad's office?

Your argument with Silco popped back in your head:

    Don't be here when I get back.

You bristled at the memory.

You clearly hadn't listened to that instruction. You pushed yourself to the edge of the couch, setting your feet down on the floor beneath you as you adjusted yourself, pulling your wrinkled clothing back into the right place. Your shoes sat at the foot of the couch, along with your coat, neatly folded. Reunited with your possessions, you slipped your shoes on and slung your coat over your elbow. Your eyes caught something shiny in the corner of your vision and you turned around to see a tall glass of water sitting on a table next to the coach. It had been placed far out of reach in case your drunken form decided to flail around in the night, sending it flying to the floor. You moved quickly across the room, downing the glass of water before it occurred to you that maybe that wasn't the best idea. You clapped your hand over your mouth as the beverage threatened to spill past your lips.

God, you needed to get something to eat.

You closed the door of the office carefully behind you, so as not to disturb the unfamiliar silence that had settled over the Last Drop.

Making your way down the steps and into the bar, you felt like a child sneaking out of your parents' house for the night.

You were about to make a beeline for the front door, when movement caught your eye. Turning towards the bar, you spotted Chuck cleaning off the counter. "Morning, Y/N" he called to you. "What time is it?" you said, squinting at him. If he was just setting up for the day, it couldn't be that late; the Last Drop usually opened its doors to customers around noon. "1:30," he responded, "opening later today, boss' orders." Your eyes widened, "Fuck! I was supposed to meet with Babette at 10!" you shouted, running out the door just as Chuck was asking something about early morning customers.

You shoved the curtain of Babette's office back so suddenly the yordle nearly leapt out of her seat. "Babette, I am so sorry!" you exclaimed, sitting down across from her. "I know we were supposed to debrief after Progress Day, but I went to the Last Drop and-" the yordle clasped her hands over your own, the action so surprising that your words died on your lips, "I'm just so happy you're okay! After I heard about that fire and you didn't come back I thought-" tears brimmed the corners of her eyes. "Oh god, Babette, no! I'm fine, really, I just had some more business to attend to and I got kind of caught up. I'm sorry if I worried you".
"It's alright dear but," you cocked your head, "is there something on my face?" "Only last night's makeup," the yordle laughed. You felt your face flush, you must look like a mess. Silently, you scolded yourself for not checking a mirror before running off to the brothel. "Go home and clean yourself up before tonight's shift".

Slipping beneath the water of your bathtub, you let the warmth soothe your joints and the pressure in your ears silence your thoughts. You couldn't stop thinking about him. You had never seen him so angry, well that was a lie, you had never seen him so angry at you; the way his fingers had dug into your face and shoulders, the way he looked at you like you were something disgusting he had just stepped in, like you were nothing to him. You shouldn't have been surprised, it's not like Silco was known to care very deeply about his employees. After all of the years you had known him, that hadn't changed. Why did you think you'd be the exception?