Smack it Round a Bit

Camila's POV

"Mama, I'm going to Normani's for a bit I'll be back home later."

"Okay...The Hamiltons are so lovely say hi to them for me please. Remind me to make them a plate next time you go over there." I nod and head for the the door thinking she was done talking.

"Yeah I need to give them some type of gift with as much time you've spent at their house in the past. And for how much you take their sweet daughter's time up! You hardly hang out with anyone else jeez you never give that poor girl a break."

I exhale a weak chuckle "It's called having a best friend, Mama."

"How bout trying to have something called a boyfriend. Give Mani a break."

Man I can't have this talk with her right now.

"Okay I have to go bye."

She giggled lightheartedly while I can't get out of the house fast enough.

I'm just sick of rehashing this conversation really.

I approach the Hamiltons' door and before I can even knock it swings open with Normani's face right behind it.

"Eager to see me?"

"Something like that. C'mon."

She drags me towards the stairs and I catch a glimpse of her mom in the kitchen.

"Hi Mrs. Hamilton. It's good to see you."

She smiles her signature warm smile. "Hi Camila. It's good to see you too baby, how you been? How's school?"

I smile back despite Normani's glare of impatience penetrating my back. "I'm good thank you, school's good too. A lot better than boot camp for sure."

She laughs and I see Mr. Hamilton round the corner with a close lipped grin. I didn't realize he was home. Must be why Normani desperately wants me to go upstairs immediately.  "Hey kid. Good to see you back in town."

"Good to see you too sir-"

"Okay we have homework we need to do so." She drags me upstairs and practically flings me into her room before she shuts her door and locks it.

"Damn."

"What?" She replies.

I sit on her desk chair and watch her flop on the bed face first.

"The fuck is itchin your ass?"

"There's an issue." She mumbles into her comforter. I'm surprised I could even understand what she said.

"Ok....What is it?" I roll my eyes.

She sits up and stares at me. My eyebrows lift; I wait for her to talk.

"Do you think it's weird that I'm not Charles' girlfriend?"

"Uhh- Do I think it's weird?"

"Yes."

"No I don't think it's weird... But- I mean maybe in your guys' situation I would think that-I don't know...Maybe it's about time?" I snicker.

"I mean yeah I guess... Well cause- So..Like I think he's about to ask me to be his girlfriend. He's taking me to dinner next weekend and told me to dress nice. And he wouldn't tell me where."

"Yeah nice subtlety Charles." I exhale sarcastically.

"Right." She laughs and picks at her nail beds.

"I'm confused on what the issue is. Are you not ready or something? Don't you like him?"

"I honestly don't even know."