The Stroke Of Midnight

"Tyla!"

I turned to try and see who had called me.

"Mom?" I called.

"Tyla!" She breathed. She ran and wrapped her arms around me, hugging me tightly. "Oh, Tyla! We were worried sick! We had no idea where you were, and no one could fjnd you!"

I looked up into my mother's brown eyes. Her light blonde hair was touching her shoulders, gray streaks running through. I took after my dad and my grandma when it came to my features, but I had my mother's heart.

"I'm so sorry mom. I'm not going anywhere now, I'm safe." I reassured her.

She suddenly looked worried. "Where were you?"

"I......you wouldn't believe me of I told you." I gave up.

She stroked my cheek with the back of her hand. "You can tell me sweatheart, I'm your mother." She cooed.

I sighed. "Alright. This really strange man took me to this forgotten land that was overrun by vampires. He was a vampire too, and told me that I could never go home again. It all must have just been a dream though."

"But you can't come home, Tyla." She said sweetly.

I frowned at her. "What?"

She grabbed both sides of my face with her hands. "Wake up." She whispered.

*

I sat up out of bed with a start.

What the hell?

"Mom?" I unconsciously called out.

I finally realized that it was just a dream. I breathed out, not realizing I was holding it. I rubbed my eyes, and looked around the room-my room. The fire was slowly dying, only burning embers were left.

For some reason, I felt awake. I didn't want to go back to sleep after a dream like that, so I got up, and went over to put wood in the fire. Sparks flew up into the air, signaling the burning of the new wood. I stood back, getting out of the way of the sparks, and smoke. As I stared into the growing flames, I got the sudden urge to dance. It had been several days now, and I still loved to do it.

I peaked my head out of the door, and saw no one on either side. I walked down the halls, for hours it seemed before I finally found the door I was looking for. I pushed it open to reveal a huge ballroom, with solid hard wood floors. I made my way down the staircase, and walked out into the middle of the floor. I took off my robe that I was wearing, leaving me in nothing but my short, spaghetti strap nightgown. I looked around me to make sure I was alone, then started stretching. When I was done, I began my graceful dance.

My arms and legs moved with the same strength, and agility as before. Stronger now that I had rested, and moved with lightening speed, and soft grace. Spinning, twirling, bowing......my mind zoned out, leaving nothing but my body to its imagination. The dance was a blur, as my arms and legs began to move on their own. On, and on I went, working myself, pushing myself to my limit. My body glistened in the moonlight, my cream colored skin looking like that of a porcelain doll.

When I had finally reached my breaking point, I layed down on the cold floor to cool me off. I took deep breaths, my heart pounding in my ears. I closed my eyes, reveling in the bliss of my dance. It brought me such happiness to dance. That's why I did it in the first place. It set my mind free, and energized my whole body, and for the first time since I got here, I felt at peace. My heart was softened, healing the broken cracks on the surface.

I opened my eyes, and gazed at the ceiling, before standing up from the ground. I bent to grab my robe, and stood, walking towards the staircase. When I came to the bottom of the stairs though, I was startled by the person standing there.

"Lonan!" I breathed. "I didn't know you were in here I-" For some reason, I felt very uncomfortable around him. He looked very serious, and his face was shadowed.

"You are a very beautiful dancer." He said flatly, his voice taking an almost harsh tone.

"Thank you." I took a few steps back unconsciously.

His eyes flickered to my feet, then back up at me again. It was like a repeat of when we first met. The person standing before me began to seem more like an animal than a man, hunting for its prey.

I continued to back up, suddenly becoming afraid. His words rang in my head as I finally realized why he was here.

'You have til midnight tomorrow.'

He started to follow me across the ballroom floor, just as he did when we first met.

"Lonan wait, please." I pleaded, putting a hand out in front of me.

He said nothing, following after me with his intense gaze.

"Please I-" I looked around me, trying to find a place to run. "Don't do this."

I was suddenly pushed foreward and caught by Lonan, as he lowered me down towards the ground. He hunched over me, as I lay under him, my legs hanging over his knees.

I let out a shaky breathe as he lowered his head to my neck, his arms wrapping around my middle so that I couldn't escape. A tear slid down my cheek as his cold lips brushed my skin. I shook with fear at the anticipation of pain that was to come.

"Please let me go." I begged weakly.

His head rose to look into my eyes. I saw pain, and anguish in his Alexandrite eyes, before obsidian completely consumed them. "I can't."

He lowered his head once again, his breath blowing across the old wounds on my neck.

"I'm so sorry." He murmured before his ivory teeth pierced my skin, making me cry out in pain.

My hand gripped his hair in a tight fist, while my other hand clawed his shoulder.

"Ah-" I sucked another breath as he bit down harder.

My hands moved to the sides of his face, trying to pull him off. That's when he let go. He grabbed my right hand, staring at it for a moment, before he brought it to his lips, and bit down.

I pulled as hard as I could, trying to free my hand, but his had a tight grip around my wrist. As some of the last of my blood left my body, Lonan let go, leaving me sprawled out over his lap. I felt tired, and weak, unable to even lift my arms, or blink.

I barely felt his hand stroke my cheek, right before I heard the chime of the clock, signaling the stroke of midnight.