Chapter 8: Neighbourly Consolation

It had only been an hour or so since the Heeler family and I had arrived back to their home from the CPIA's building. The whole drive was more or less silent aside from one moment where Bluey spoke up.

"Dad? ...I don't want Nathan's mum and dad to have died." She said solemnly as I briefly glanced up at her before staring down at the floor once more as Bandit responded.

"I know, mate, me too... But there's nothing we can do. It's out of our hands."

And he was right. As much as none of us wanted this to happen, fate just had to turn it's back on me and let death claim the two people I held close to me all my life. They were gone... And I never even got to say goodbye...

As soon as we reached the Heeler's home, I stepped out of the vehicle and slowly walked away to the back garden without a word. Even though I didn't look back, a part of me sensed Bluey and Bingo about to follow me but Chilli and Bandit quickly stopped them, signalling to them that I needed some time alone.

And so now I sat alone under the largest tree of the back garden, the same tree I had used to initially hide from Stripe and his family that one time as I continued to stare down at the ground, feeling completely broken. I just wanted to cry, but it was as if I had cried every single tear my body could even produce. Ever heard a song that focuses on a broken heart? It's not a figure of speech. My chest was aching to no end and I could barely breath. It really feels like my heart was just broken and it was never going to be fixed...

"...Are you alright?"

An unfamiliar voice called out to me as I slowly looked up for the source as my vision was met with a dog standing behind the fence I was facing. It took me a second to notice something about her. She almost resembled the Chow Chow I had encountered a few days ago whom had screamed and run off at the sight of me. She was however much taller, no doubt an adult and possibly a parent of the said Chow Chow, given she had the same kind and colour of fur, some of which protruded from her forehead in an upwards curl. A gold brooch that resembled some kind of old mirror displayed on her chest and last but not least, a single eyelash on both outer sides of her eyes.

"...You're not afraid of me?" Was the first thing I instinctively said as the Chow Chow scaled the fence and went around it so she could approach me, before answering, to which I noticed that her voice had a kind of upper class accent like maybe from England.

"Oh, not at all. Well... At first I was uncertain about you when Chilli told me about you." I blinked as I registered her answer. Chilli had told this lady about me? How did she keep her from contacting authorities?

"It was rather my fault, to be honest. I had noticed she had been secretive whenever I talked with her and I ended up being a bit of a nosey-parker. She did tell me however how sweet you are with her children and that you are just like us, only a different species." I nodded in understanding as she finished before stopping next to me and sitting down.

"Now... Would you be alright to tell me what the matter is?" She asked, returning back to her former question. Thinking back to me finding my parents only caused me more grief which in turn made me refrain from speaking about it, but because I knew that this lady dog trusted me and I didn't want to be rude to her after she offered her concern, I sniffed before finally telling her.

"...I came to this world from a plane crash. Me and my parents were going somewhere on vacation and... I was the only one who survived. My mom and dad are gone..." I finally felt new tears start to roll down my cheeks as I gave her the answer, hearing a shocked gasp from her as my eyes slowly closed. memories of me with my parents flashing before my eyes.