Chapter 19: Saying Goodbye

Well... Just two more days until my parents' funeral after what almost feels like a month since I first met the Heelers. Almost the entire community of Canistralia has worked hard to set up the whole party, it was just a matter of now finding the right clothes for the day itself.

Except when you're the only human in a region inhabited by dogs all of which have very different body proportions, that can be a bit of an issue. Luckily, Andrew was able to help with that by using the clothes I currently had for reference with the details being sent to a tailor. The German Shepherd had also promised me that I'd also get more human-fitted clothes besides the mourning suit because of how limited my wardrobe was to begin with. I really owe that dog.

And yet here I was now, sat at one of the steps of the Heeler's front door, so many things I were contemplating on that I couldn't focus on one.

It was just me and Chilli today whom would no doubt be in the house doing whatever she pleased whilst Bandit was off doing some errands and Bluey and Bingo of course were at school and kindergarten respectively.

I don't know what it was, maybe it was just the thought of my parents that brought me down or perhaps I was worried I would end up screwing up on my speech and farewells.

"Nate, you alright, honey?"

The sudden familiar voice of Chilli snapped me out of my stupor as I glanced behind me to see the red Heeler in question sit down on the same step next to me with a look of slight concern.

"I'm fine, Chilli... I guess I'm just a little nervous about the funeral." I sighed truthfully as I stared back down at the ground.

"...Yeah, I know how that can feel. It might be tough for you." Chilli uttered as I felt one of her hands gently pat my back, which got me to continue.

"It just feels so unexpected... There was so many things I was supposed to experience with them such as seeing the looks on their faces for when I become a man. A man who would care for them in their old age... And yet just like that, they're just... gone. And... they won't even hear me say "Goodbye"."

I closed my eyes after that in thought. I was sad, yes. But not enough to cry. After that talk I had with Wendy, I've been trying my best to get it together and stay strong... for them.

"That's not true, Nathan."

I blinked as I looked back at Chilli.

"They might not be with you anymore, but they'll always be watching you from up there. There's no way they'd never hear you say "Goodbye". I know you'll make them proud of you, more than they already are." She added with a smile on her muzzle which I couldn't help but return with one myself.

"Yeah... You're right. And, at least my last moments with them was a happy one." I pointed out, slowly starting to feel better, until I noticed Chilli look down as her smile twitched into a small frown.

"...Are you okay?"

Chilli suddenly stammered a little before answering my question.

"O-Oh, yeah, I'm alright. You know... Speaking of family, do you have anyone else over than your Nana? Any brothers or sisters?" It sounded like Chilli was trying to avert the subject to avoid discussing what had suddenly spouted her brief change in mood but I didn't press for her sake and decided to answer.

"Actually, no. I'm an only child. What about you?" I asked, curious about Chilli's side of the family since I knew only about Bandit's.

Chilli paused after I asked however, that frown returning as if she was remembering something.

"...Well... There is my sister..." Chilli muttered a little despondently.

"Your sister?" I inquired. "Did... Did she...?" I vaguely then asked without finishing the question to imply to Chilli what I was asking without risking hurting her.