Chapter 5

5 years later* 2022

I was standing at the window of my office staring out onto the busy streets of Los Angeles. I had just finished up with one of my new clients. She was a sweet girl trying to make a name for herself. Honestly a part of her reminded me of myself years ago when I first started in this company. Today marks five years I've been with this company and while I'm happy where I am I can't help but feel like there's something missing. I have worked with tons of incredible artists over the years and my career couldn't get any better. I think back to my time with Liam often. I always thought I would have worked with him again eventually but he never came back. He's mainly been co-writing with Ed Sherran now.

My cell phone starts ringing and I walk towards my desk to pick it up and I see Zayn's name. "What's up?" I ask him. I hear the sound of a car driving as the sound of wind passing by. "What would you like for lunch?" He asks me surprising me. "What?" I asked incredulously. "What. Would. You. Like. For. Lunch." He says slowly making me grimace in annoyance. "I heard you the first time. You're coming here though? What if someone sees you?" I ask him question after question. I mean at this point in my career it may seem as if he's just another client of mine. "Don't worry I'll be in and out before anyone notices me. I'll try not to make your boss jealous." He says the word boss in a sing song tone of annoyance.

"Just get whatever." I say not really in the mood for food. We have always had a thing where we always check in everyday at lunch to make sure the other is eating. Instead of flat out asking, "Hey have you eaten today you eating disorder bitch?" We just text each other, "I'm eating this for lunch , what are you eating?" To make it seem less like someone's checking in on your eating habits like a parent would. I internally laugh at the thought. My mother calls me about once a week to check in on me and see how I'm doing. My father and I have spoken maybe three times in the last few years. And even then it's a passing 'hello' on a phone call with my mom.

I end the call as a loud knock on the door hits my ears. I walk over to the door and open it to see Arlo. He smiles at me and strides into my large office. As soon as I shut the door I turn around and suddenly I'm pressed up against it. His lips find mine and his hands roam all over my body. I give into the kiss as he starts palming my breasts. He bites my lip making me gasp and his tongue enters my mouth. Before things could go any further I pull myself away from his lips. "What if someone walks in?" I ask out of breath as he plants kisses down my neck. "Who cares? I can fire them." He says. I scoff as I push him off of me. He grumbles as he watches me walk over to my desk and take a seat.

I told Zayn all about my fling with my boss. And of course I had to sit through a lecture about how bad of an idea that was and how I wasn't thinking of my career by doing this. I brushed him off saying it wasn't a big deal and if it ends we're both mature enough to work around each other without an issue. He had rolled his eyes at me not believing me.

He rolls his eyes at he readjusts himself and takes a seat in the chair in front of my desk. "Did you need something?" I ask him. I watch him as he smooths his jacket back out and tightens his tie. "I did." He said licking his bottom lip and eyeing me up and down. "Eyes up here." I tell him. Arlo and I started hooking up on and off for a while now. It was nothing serious just two co-workers releasing pent up tension they held against each other. I do like having him use his frustration towards me in sexual ways more than what he used to do which consisted of barring me from clients. When I say it like that it sounds bad. Like I'm sleeping with him for benefits at work which I'm not. Just something simple and fun.

"I actually came here to tell you we have a high profile potential client stopping in today and I need you to be on your best behavior." He says to me. I laugh and point at him. "Looks like I'm not the one who needs to behave." He smirks at my words. "Who is it anyways?" I ask out of curiosity. By now I'm used to most celebrities and no longer have issues with fan girling but I still like to know ahead of time to prepare myself. "It's a surprise." He says smirking again. "Well what are they coming here for?" I ask as I turn my computer to bring it to life to keep me distracted.