08. Revelations & Nose Grazes

"His name was Rhett."

Half an hour after my meltdown, Gabby and I are still on the floor, though she's released her hold on me. Our backs are against the couch, our shoulders brushing as we sit surrounded by her piles of clothes and the abandoned boxing paraphernalia. I should be embarrassed by my tear stained cheeks and bloodshot eyes, but Gabby's presence seems to have some sort of calming effect on me.

Somehow, I know there's no judgment here. She saw me breakdown and, instead of watching me with disgust or offering half-hearted platitudes, she helped me through it, reminding me I wasn't alone. The only other people who have been there for me like that, are Grayson and Ella.

She wrinkles her nose, her brow furrowed as though she's trying to remember something. "Like the dude from that old movie?"

Despite my tears, I let out an unattractive snort, a soft smile making its way onto my face. "That's the one."

"What happened?" she asks tentatively before quickly correcting herself. "Sorry, never mind. It's none of my business."

"It's okay."

"Well, screw him." She nudges me with her elbow, drawing my eyes to hers. "He didn't deserve you."

"What?"

"What?"

"What do you mean?"

She shrugs, the confusion written all over her face. "I mean, like, whatever he did to hurt you or make you so mad at him."

Looking back, I realize I've never told her what happened to him, viewing her as merely an acquaintance as opposed to the friend she's turning out to be. I guess I can't blame her for assuming that he had done something to hurt me. "Gabby, Rhett didn't do anything to me. He," I hesitate the bitter words catch in my throat, as sour as vinegar. "He passed away."

"Shit. I, uh, well I," Gabby splutters. Several emotions flit across her face; panic, pity, sadness. After a few moments, she places a hand on my leg, her expression one of compassion and understanding. "Sorry. I'm so sorry, Morgan."

I shrug, making no move to wipe away the fresh set of tears that makes its way down my cheeks. "It was a while ago now. Four years," I clarify.

Damn. Has it really been four years? Why does it feel like just yesterday that I lost him? How can it still feel so fresh after all this time?

"It's funny. Until now, I guess I didn't realize how angry I was at him."

"Angry?"

"Yeah. For leaving me that night to go out with his friends mostly, even though I told him to. And for always having such a bloody savior complex," I add, my voice starting to rise despite my attempts to control it. "He got in the way of a woman being mugged. Like, I'm glad he helped her, but was her handbag worth his life? Our future?"

"It sounds like he was a hero." Gabby hand moves from my leg and she throws an arm over my shoulder instead, allowing me to lean into the comfort she provides.

"Yeah, a regular bloody Hercules," I mutter angrily, my voice cracking on the last word as new sobs start to rack my body. "I'm sorry. I'm such a mess. I'm sorry."

I shouldn't be on her apartment floor, pouring my heart out to her like we are the best of friends. Until today I would have called us frenemies at best. Now it feels as though she's the only thing holding me together. If she were to let me go, I would shatter to pieces.

She winds her other arm around me, pulling me closer and rubbing slow soothing circles on my back. "You have nothing to apologize for, Morgan. I'm here for you. I'm sorry I asked. It's not really my place."