Chapter 43: Please Forgive Me

Steve stared up at Cara hopeful, full of love for her, hoping his feelings would help jar hers and bring her out of Hydra's control. Cara stared back at him, softening, thinking, trying to remember, staring deeply into his eyes. Then, of course, as he expected, his earpiece started lighting up.

"I'm sorry, what did he just say??" Tony came over coms hurriedly.

"Um, I think he was cutting in and out." Sam interjected.

"He just said he loves her, he talked about meaningful memories! How long has this been a thing and how did I not know??" Tony continued, with battle sounds in the background.

"No definitely didn't hear any of that, we're just trying to break the control over here." Bucky said.

"The Captain definitely said that he is in love with Agent Barton. Are your earpieces not functioning properly?" Thor chimed in, clangs of his hammer muffled in the background.

"Wait, Cap's in love with Cara??" Bruce chimed in.

Bucky gave Steve a dirty look but Steve didn't notice, he was watching Cara, every feature of her beautiful face, her gorgeous blue eyes, big full lips and the way she seemed to be softening. He wanted to throw himself at her, to feel those big full lips pressed against his, feel her in his arms again. He also noticed the cut on her cheek from his shield, her eye already bruising as well. But it hadn't been her, this may still not be her, but he needed to try.

"Okay, how many of you knew? There's no way so few of you are not shocked by this. I gasped." Tony chimed in again.

There was silence over coms again.

"How many of you!" Tony urged.

"I knew/Same/I knew first" Bucky, Sam, and Natasha all admitted respectively.

"I did not know." Thor said.

"Well thanks for sharing with the rest of us. Let's maybe be thankful Clint's out for this one, this has been distracting enough, we still have jobs to do." Tony said.

"Actually I heard the whole thing." Clint said weakly.

Bucky Looked at Steve panicked again, this time Steve looked at him briefly concerned before he turned back to Cara again. This time he noticed she was silently crying. He let go of her hands slowly, carefully. Bucky raised his rifle slightly, not fully trusting she was out of it yet.

"Well shit that's going to be an awkward ride home." Tony said

"I already knew. I found out last week." Clint added, groaning.

"Guys Clint needs medical attention bad, we need to finish this up, if you can't get her out of this, knock her out and bring her back we can deal with her back at the tower." Nat said.

"Just getting ready to blow this popsicle stand. Hey Cap, you guys have 10 minutes to get shit figured out and get out of there." Sam said

Cara gently placed her hand on Steve's cheek.

"Steve?" Cara said shakily.

Steve exhaled deeply with relief putting his hand over top of hers, eyes welling with tears of relief. Steve brought his other hand up to her cheek as she leaned down toward him. Steve leaned up meeting her halfway as their lips met. The feel of her lips on his was euphoric, a warmth spreading into his cheeks, relief coming over him as she forced her tongue against his. The relief was short lived however. With a loud bang from Bucky's rifle, followed by a wet thwack, Cara fell off of Steve. Rolling back clutching her ribs, the clang of a knife hitting the floor rang in Steve's ears. He quickly got to his feet retrieving his shield, heart sinking as he did. She wasn't her. She hadn't remembered. She had pretended, drawn him in, and was going to stab him if not kill him. Steve's head whirled to Bucky.