Chapter 45: One Day at a Time

In the weeks and months after Steve's death Cara spent most of her time laying in Steve's bed, wearing his oversized sweats, in a near comatose state. She thought the tears would never stop, but when they did the only thing left was the numbness she felt. The world seemed to move around her at a quickened pace as she lay still as if she was no longer moving through time. As promised, Bucky became her personal guard dog of sorts, watching over her constantly and making sure she ate or drank enough when she wasn't. If there was a knock at the door, he fielded it for her, knowing when or who she might be ok with visiting.

Cara had also spoken very little since they had returned and mostly she only spoke what little she did to Bucky and Bucky alone. It's was also not much more than a single word or a short statement. Yes, no, not today, Steve loved this shirt, and numerous other things. Bucky, though he was hurting, he had put on a brave face for her, becoming stronger each day, knowing when to push her and when not to. He also told her stories about he and Steve from when they were kids or teenagers or stories about the 40s. Which, though she didn't show or say, she found comforting.

Clint had also been very diligent in being there every day. Both to give Bucky time to take care of other things, while at the same time being there for his sister. When she had thought she had no tears left to cry, one day Clint had decided to let her know exactly how sorry he was for her losing Steve. About how he wished he could do anything to bring him back for her and how apparent it was now, how much they had truly loved one another and how much he approved, that there wasn't a better man for her than Steve. That day she let Clint hold her, crying until she was too tired to keep her eyes open. This was the closest the two had been in Clint couldn't remember when but was just happy she was letting him be a big brother again.

Though they knew they wouldn't find anything, Tony put together search missions, hoping for a miracle. Each day reporting back no new news as they sifted through rubble as well as other bodies from the incident, shield and Hydra alike. But most of them were charred, crushed, unrecognizable. The day Tony did find something, had only made Cara fall deeper into her darkness. Tony had come to see her personally, not letting Bucky or anyone else deliver the news.

That was the first day she had gotten out of that bed for anything other than the bathroom or to shower. She had forced herself to get dressed, comb her hair, and walk down to the hangar with Tony and Bucky. Fury and Maria Hill were there, waiting, and for the first time seeing sadness spread across their faces as they stood next to a silver casket, Steve's shield symbol engraved on the top of it. Somehow finding the strength she walked over to them, stopping beside the casket facing it and with shaking hands placed them on it.

"Is it... is this really... are we sure..." Cara swallowed hard unable to finish a sentence.

Trying not to lose her composure, she focused on the cold metal beneath her palms. Trying not to think what was below that.

"Agent Barton, we know this has been difficult for you as well as the rest of the team, and we are aware of the relationship you and Captain Rogers had. But we are sure." Fury said softly, sympathetic.

"How can you be so sure? Tony said there was nothing- well almost nothing left." Cara said a single tear falling.

She couldn't help but hope, but beg this was a mistake. But seconds later Hill spoke gently to her.

"Cara, Tony was right, there's mostly just... just his bones in here. But the tissue samples Dr. Banner was able to collect were a match, as well as his dental records. We wish it wasn't, but this is Captain Rogers."

Cara's hands began to shake as the tears began to fall. Fury approached her and gently placed a hand on hers on the casket.

"Something of his was found as well."