Twenty Four

"Now I remember why I don't like to go shopping!" Grandad says as we walk out of westgate and up new Inn Street towards Bill's, where we are meeting for lunch.
"Pops you have done nothing but complain since dad dropped us off!" I laugh.
"Aye well, you know I am never happy unless I am moaning Loopy Lu." He chuckles as we walk. "You happy with your lot then?" He asks.
"Yeah of course, you didn't have to though pops. But thank you."
"You're more than welcome love, remember we see all the others a lot more than you, they get there little treats too."
"A two hundred pound set of knives is more than a treat pops!" I tell him still in awe at his generosity.
"Well if your nana asks they were only a hundred." He looks at me with a wink.
"Getting me to lie for you too. You're becoming a bad influence on me." I tease him.
"Your gran used to say that about me and your mum too, and she turned out just fine. That's why we are gonna have a rest in here, c'mon" he says as he darts into the first pub we see. I shake my head, but smile. I love spending time with him. He is so funny, and kind, and loving, in his own way. We spend the next half hour in the pub, grandad sinking two pints while I sip at my orange juice and lemonade.

As we get to the restaurant the others are already seated. "Sorry we're a bit behind, it was heaving in that shopping center wasn't it loops." He says totally deep pan.
"Yeah it was mental busy." I reply, ignoring the suspicious look we are both getting from nana. We sit down and the drinks arrive.
"I ordered you a beer already, don't worry." Nana tells pops as he eyes the tray.
"Ah, thank you love, am gasping. Just what I need." He tells her, and I can't help but burst out laughing.
"You've already been in the pub, haven't you? You think I was born yesterday." She chuckles at him.
"We may of stopped for a refresher on the way. Loopy insisted." He says as he shrugs. I just roll my eyes as I take a sip of my drink. Grandad soon orders another round and we are all sitting having the best time. I feel so at ease and so happy right at that moment. I can tell mum does too, she is literally glowing.
"Nana, pops. I have something I want to talk to you about..." I say, looking at mum, she gives me the tiniest nod and the biggest smile.
"What's that love?" Nana says.
"Well...." all of a sudden my confidence deserts me. I look at mum sitting next to me and she just puts her hand on mine. It's her little way of telling me she is there and it is all going to be ok. And it works.
"I'm GAY" I blurt out, a lot louder than I intended to. They both look at me for the briefest of moments. Then grandad bursts out laughing. Harder than I have ever seen him laugh.
"HARRY!" Nana scolds at him.
"I'm........sorry love......." He can't stop laughing and I am torn between being hurt and finding his reaction hilarious.
"I'm....not.....laughing that you're gay........" He points behind me and our drinks are on the table behind with a very young waiter standing there. His face the brightest red I have ever seen. I go scarlet instantly as I realise he must of been standing right behind me as I blurted out my sexuality. Slowly grandad calms himself as the waiter silently puts our drinks down and hurries off. As he goes grandad starts laughing again, and he is quickly joined by myself and dad.
"You could of told me he was there!" I say. Grandad laughs even harder.
"I didn't know what you was gonna say did I love, his face......." He is off again, tears running down his face as he tries to compose himself.
"So, Skye?" Nana asks typically, looking for gossip.
"No, nana. She is just a friend." I look at mum. "How comes that's everyone's first thought?" I ask.
"Well I just thought maybe, she is a lovely girl. And very very pretty." Nana says.
"Yes, yes she is. But no I haven't had a girlfriend or anything like that yet. I just wanted you both to know. Are you ok with it?" I ask as I look at them both.
"Of course we are, aren't we Harry? Why wouldn't we be?" Nana says as she gives me a warm loving smile.
"Aye, makes absolutely zero difference to us love. Long as you're happy" Grandad adds giving me a reassuring smile and a little wink. Mum leans into me and just says "see..." I smile at her, feeling very relaxed once again and knowing that even through all my troubles I have had recently, I am truly lucky to have the most amazing family.