Chapter 5: The Dream Linker

A/N: Ignore typos again. Just needed to get this out before I forget anything. When I do that, grammar rules and other technicalities are often forgotten. Hehe.

Don't forget to vote and comment! *salute*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sun was already up by the time they emerged from the forest. Rei, covered in Cloud’s traveling cloak, fell asleep on Garr’s back while Majica was still asleep cradled in Anyo’s arms. They all looked tired but the possibility of more creatures attacking kept them from stopping. They followed a footpath up the road and saw a cluster of houses in the distance.

“It’s Steeden!” Cloud announced loudly, startling Iris. She hissed at him and leaped to settle onto Zedina’s shoulder instead. “Sorry, kitty.”

“Finally!” Altaecia exclaimed, smiling.

“I know a woman there who can help us,” Cloud explained as they continued through the path.

“Of course you do. You have a lady acquaintance everywhere. On every town and village,” Altaecia commented dryly. “Still a puzzle to me, if you ask me, as to what these women see in you. They probably can’t see that well. Poor creatures.”

“Hey, I have never been to many places in Cretaria.”

“Whatever, you disgusting pig.”

“I'm telling the truth!”

“Yeah and I’ll only believe that when the sun stop showing up in the sky in the mornings. Oh look, the sun is actually up there already.” She smiled sweetly at an irritated Cloud.

“You do not believe me, love?”

“I told you to stop calling me that and in case you do not remember anymore, you were a bounty hunter in Kelvana before you came to Zecrom. Bounty hunters are travelers.”

“So? It does not mean I have been to every village in Kelvana. I have also never been outside Kelvana.”

Altaecia looked at Cloud. “You have never been to many places? You must have been the laziest bounty hunter in Green Star.”

“Believe it or not—“

“I prefer ‘not’,” Altaecia interrupted.

Cloud sighed, “Look, lo—Altaecia” he amended when Altaecia glared at him, “I tracked down my outlaws in forests and mountains. Seldom times in towns and villages.”

“Are there women in forests and mountains too? Oh!” Altaecia feigned a surprise look on her face. “Don’t tell me you dallied with forest sprites too.”

“Why do I bother explaining to you?”

“Bickering childish adults, can we keep it quiet? The actual children in this party are sleeping,” Garr said from behind them.

“You two, separate. Now,” Zedina said who was walking a little behind Cloud.

“Gladly,” Altaecia said. “Besides, the only moments we got close were when I was about to kill him,” she added and walked next to Zedina and Anyo, leaving Cloud ahead of them.

Garr decided to take Altaecia’s place beside Cloud.

“So you have a lady friend in Steeden?” Garr asked.

“Yes, I do.”

“And what is her name?”

Cloud opened his mouth to answer, and then closed it. He thought for awhile, scratched his head and said, “Come to think of it… I forgot. It’s been two years since I last saw her.”