Chapter 9: Crimson Village

Early the next day, just as the sun was rising, they left the place with the thieves’ hands tied in ropes being held by Garr. Cloud and Anyo were chosen to be the tail of the party. Yume and Zedina led the way as Altaecia and Majica stayed close to the prince.

“How are you feeling today, Majica?” Altaecia asked the young girl.

“I feel much better now, Lady Altaecia. I think the food and sleep helped me regain my strength,” she replied.

“And colors on your cheeks too,” the archer sighed with relief.

“You smell really good, Lady Altaecia,” Rei commented, walking beside her.

Altaecia smiled as she looked at him. “Thank you, Rei. It’s just the soap we bought back in Steeden. You smell good too.”

“Really?” Rei said, sniffing his sleeves. “I don’t seem to smell the way I used to even with the bath.”

She continued to smile at his remarks. That’s because you’re used to more than just river water and cheap soap, she thought.

“We have to find some place to stay for the night,” Yume said to everybody. “And I’ll wash everybody’s dirty robes,” she said smiling.

“Thanks, Yume,” Cloud said from behind.

“It’s the least I can do for you, guys,” she replied, blushing.

“Have you been to these parts of the forest roads?” Zedina asked Yume.

“Yes,” she replied. “My father and brother used to take me to Crimson Village.”

“How far is that village from here?”

“A days’ walk if we move in a faster pace than what we’re doing right now,” she replied. “If we’re not, we have to find some place to stay for the night. Somewhere safe. There are more dangers in these parts of the forest at night.”

“We’ll try,” Garr added.

“We usually take a wagon and a couple of horses when we go there, it used to take us six hours or so,” Yume said. “But I heard a few times back in Steeden that there’s an abandoned cottage somewhere around here.”

“Abandoned cottage?” Altaecia asked.

“Well, stories go that nobody has used that cottage for a few years now.”

“Why?” Anyo asked.

“Bandits and thieves. Like I said more dangers at night.”

Altaecia looked back at Aika and Sarfie. “Friends of yours?” she asked, raising an eyebrow.

“We don’t know any cottage around here,” Sarfie replied defensively, “and we don’t know anyone around here.”

“We’ve never really explored the whole forest yet so we never came across a cottage,” the other explained.

“Where is this group of thieves that has adopted you two?” Garr asked.

“We’re not telling you,” Sarfie replied and nervously glanced at Zedina who appeared to be ignoring them.

“If I were you—“ Cloud started but was cut off by Aika.

“We don’t know where they are now. We separated from them three years ago. Sarfie and I pretty work on our own.”

“Pretty job you both have,” he said mockingly.

“So, should we look for this abandoned cottage?” Altaecia asked the group.