#2 - A path worth walking

The bell above the door rang as two girls entered the bakery. Just like every Saturday that didn't have any specific plans, Lumine and Amber met up in their favorite spot. This time however, there was a good reason to chat and catch up with each other. Lumine had been noticeably less focused on  lessons and Amber was desperate to know what was going on.

As the door swung closed behind them and rang the bell for a second time, they looked around to search for the person behind the counter. The bakery wasn't well known, so between the rare customers entering the shop, the owner liked to retreat to the back and experiment with nee recipes of all sorts.

Being regulars, the two best friends already knew that much and sat down on their favorite table, studying the ever changing menu. If there was one thing special about this bakery, then it was the amount of new cakes and goodies it had to offer. The only cake that never seemed to leave the listed items was the owner's favorite, Osmanthus cake.

This week, there were a lot of new options again, so both of them studied them closely. Between "Frostbearing snow cake" and "Memories of sugar dust", Lumine decided on "Rust-burned wings" which was described as a flambéed crème cake just below the name.

"What did you choose?"

Lumine asked curiously, peeking over the edge of the sheet of paper in her hands for the first time since she started reading. Amber and her had been ordering cakes for each other for a while, so Lumine was excited to see what her friend had picked out for her.

"Not telling! You'll see when you get it. I'm sure you can handle being left in the dark for a few more minutes, you had me wait until today for you to tell me what has been going on with you since yesterday after all!"

"So mean!"

Lumine pouted, but couldn't hide her grin which caused Amber to start laughing, breaking Lumines  pout as a result. As if the giggles summoned him, the owner finally showed up behind the counter and smiled at the two girls.

"Welcome back you two. What can I get you?"

He said, glancing at Amber, her eyes sparkling with mischief.

"Mr. Zhongli!"

Lumine greeted him happily, while Amber stood up and whispered something into Zhonglis ear, making it obvious that Lumine should pay attention to whatever the dessert she was going to receive was about. After ordering herself and watching the owner dissapear into the back once again, the blonde turned her gaze back to the person at the other end of the table who was staring at her with an expectant grin on her face.

Lumine knew that Amber could probably already guess who the conversation was going to be about, she had been ranting on and on about her beloved crush that she was surprised that Amber still hasn't gotten sick of her. For some reason, the fact that Amber knew made it harder to start talking. Luckily, Ambers curiosity got the best of her and she started asking all kinds of things.

"Soo~ this is about Bennett, surely?"

Amber poked, the blushing cheeks of her friend were enough confirmation for the release of a waterfall of follow up questions.

"Did you get to talk to him? Or maybe you saw him at the school garden? Did he say anything to you? Did he confess? Oh god, do we go shopping for a wedding dress now? I know-mmpf!"

A hand on her mouth was the only thing that could stop Amber at this point, and Lumine knew she wasn't going to hear the end of it until she spilled the beans.

"Shush! If you wanna know then let me talk!"

Amber peeled Lumines hand off her face, giggling. It was too funny to tease someone who is in love.