Chapter VIII

𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮'𝓼 𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓼𝓸𝓷 Hatake Kakashi has been asked to make critical decisions early in his life. He has that kind of cold logic, there's a rationality to his thoughts, and he usually tries not to get attached. But tries is the keyword here. And maybe that's why he feels like a fifty-year-old man—broken beyond repair. Because even if Kakashi gets attached, nobody knows, and he still makes decisions no matter the cost, always for the greater good.

"Are you going to say something, eventually?"

Hana's voice is sharp and cuts like a knife through the thoughtful silence Kakashi has installed between them. His room is only lit by a few candles, and their dancing flames illuminate the girl's bronze skin, giving more edges to her angular face. She's wearing a revealing outfit, and every time Kakashi's eyes rest on her cleavage, he's reminded of his meaningless nights with Wolf, the woman who once inhabited Hana's current body.

But this isn't the Inuzuka he met in his youth. She's not an ex-Anbu of twenty-something years old. She's still just a girl, an eighteen-year-old girl.

"Is my appearance perturbing you, Kakashi?"

He wants to wipe that playful smile off her face. There's nothing funny about the current situation, nothing at all.

"I wasn't expecting you to be inside Wolf's body."

"It makes you uncomfortable," she states, her smile unwavering. "Why? Because you killed her?"

"Because I used to sleep with her."

And at last, Hana drops the corners of her mouth.

"Then why kill her?"

He sinks into his bed with a sigh but jumps back up abruptly when she joins him.

She's a kid, Kakashi reminds himself. She's just a lost kid.

"I never meant to kill her," he answers her initial question, back against the wall, lone eye piercing through locks of silver hair. "But Sakura needed me. You needed me."

"Yes, I needed you. But you failed me."

"I tried."