.one

CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE.
" Dalek. "

.• SHE HAD BEEN HANGING FROM THE CHAINS FOR DAYS, MONTHS MAYBE EVEN YEARS. In all honesty, she couldn't recall how long. But it was a long time. Pain shot through her every time she resisted the chains. An electric pain. She wouldn't speak or open up to any of the guards earning more pain and suffering. Groans escaped the woman's lips as she awoke again, still hanging from the chains.

"Good morning, sweetheart." Van Statten, a selfish jerk, walked up towards the glass case where she was. "Did you have a good beauty sleep? Good. Now, do the thing." The woman watched with a straight face, her poofy sleeved baby-blue dress hung around her body. Makeup smudged around her face, she hated it. The man scoffed before clicking his fingers.

A shock ran through her body, forcing herself to hold in her scream as it travelled throughout her veins. She tried to move her arms out of the chains that held her above the ground. It felt like they got tighter and tighter. "All right, all right, that's enough!" Van Statten shouted making the unbearable pain come to an end. Suddenly, an alarm started blasting through the whole building.

"You're lucky, sweetheart! Come on!" He yelled to the workers who quickly walked towards him, Van Statten pointed towards one person. "Stay put, make her talk when I get back!" The worker nodded before looking towards the girl who hung by the chains. Van Statten walked out with all the guards and workers.

"Hello there." The worker's voice echoed, she was female. "Your name is Mara or The Astronomer, correct?" She laughed walking up to the glass. "Wouldn't want to be in your situation, I'm lucky, aren't I? Yeah, I mean, I'm blessed with this gorgeous face. You've... not been blessed by anything. You're chained up..." This bitch was getting on her nerves. Mara furrowed her eyebrows, she felt a click at the bottom of her right ankle. It was free.

"...Look at me! I'm helpless!' That's you! Haha, great impression, right? Who am I kidding? It was the best. Look at you, awh, so weak, so defenceless. Poor, little, Astronomer... I'm superi-" A loud smash interrupted her. It seemed poor, little, Astronomer wasn't chained up but someone else would be. "Why you litt-" Mara raised her foot, kicking her in the face.

Using her hands, Mara wrapped the chain around both of them before snapping the chains off both sides of the wall. Looking down at the foot that was still chained to the wall, she used both hands once again and tugged on it until it set her free. The broken chains still hung around her wrists and ankles. She was free. A groan was heard from the floor, the guard.

"Right, you wanted me to talk, I'll talk. But only about one thing with one person, I think you know what that is and who I'll chat with. Now, little miss guard, kneel down or I'll make you." The worker put her hands up, knowing what the Astronomer could do, then she kneeled on the ground in front of her. "Good girl. Now, night-y night!" She swung the metal that still hung around her wrists, making it collide with the woman's head.

A small fluttering sound filled her ears making her look to her left, her wings. They were yet to change, due to them being cut off with her last regeneration. They were still fully black, like a crow's wings. "You beautiful things!" Opening the small cupboard they were trapped in, they almost teleported on her back. A golden glow surrounded them, while they slowly changed shape, size and colour to a Barn Owl's, well, almost.

"Right, I better hide you while I run around this place." Mara noted while the wings folded and almost shrunk into her back until they disappeared. She looked down at her wrists which had red marks spread along them, the same with her ankles. "No, shouldn't waste energy on such small marks, they'll heal over time." Looking down, she noticed she was still wearing her dress before she got an idea.

"I am so sorry for this."

——

"Why do these workers have the most boring outfits?" Mara tugged on the front of the black blazer that hung around her torso above the white button up shirt with black trousers. Plain black platform boots clicked along the grey floor while her long brown hair was up in a high ponytail. "Stop it!" She smacked her back. "I know you want out but I can't help that. We have to find Athena."

As if she could hear the voice of her wings telling her some reply, she scoffed. "Really? Come on, it's not that- Seriously?" She stopped while looking over her shoulder. "Let's just go." Her boots continued to click on the ground when a sudden feeling passed through her head. Ignoring it, she continued to walk.

—————————