.nine

CHAPTER NINE

.CHAPTER NINE.
" ring, ring. "

.*• —— THE DOCTOR AND MARA found themselves in a crowded drinking area, full of smoke and chatter and a singer. " For nobody else gave me the thrill, when I have found I love you still, it had to be you, wonderful you... " Her voice echoed. Mara smiled as she heard the woman sing.

"——It had to be you." She finished the song. The audience applauded. The Doctor joined the applause as he approached the stage. Mara watched from the otherside of the room.

"Excuse me! Excuse me!" He walked up to the microphone while Mara caught sight of a poster. Her eyes widened slightly before she turned to the doctor. "Could I have everybody's attention just for a mo? Be very quick, eh... hello!" He waved cheerily while Mara shook her head signaling him to stop.

"Eh... might seem like a stupid question, but has anything fallen from the sky recently?" There was complete silence. The Doctor looked around expectantly. Then, the audience started to laugh. The Doctor stared around at them all confused. "Sorry, have I said something funny? It's just there's this thing I need to find. Would've fallen from the sky a couple days ago."

A siren began to start causing everyone in the room to stop laughing and start exiting the room. "Would've landed near here... with a very loud..." He looked toward Mara who pointed to a poster. His eyes followed her pointing and he realised. "...bang." They had landed in the middle of a war. A world War. The two of them met back up, walking out of the place and back out into the cold, dark street.

"Hold on," Mara glanced around the street. It was empty — well, except from the tardis and the few random things laying around but no Rose Tyler. "Where is Rose?"

"What?" The Doctor asked confused before looking around. She was right, Rose had vanished. "Oh, every time!" He groaned before going into a run beside Mara as they yelled for the girl. "Rose? Rose?" As the doctor shouted, Mara found herself pausing at the sound of a meow.

"Awh!" She cooed. "Look at the little baby!" She gently lifted the black and white cat, petting it as it purred. "Doctor, look!"

"Yeah, great, a cat. Whatever. " He shrugged walking over. He watched as the cat nudged into Mara's hand and he noticed the large smile which had taken over Mara's face. "You know, just one day, maybe, we're gonna meet somebody who gets the whole 'don't wander off' thing. 900 years of phone-box travel, it's the only thing left to surprise me!"

"Doctor, can I keep it? Do you think Athena would mind?" Mara questioned, looking at him as the cat let out a meow. Suddenly a large noise echoed. The phone... was ringing. The Tardis phone was ringing. They shared a look —— Mara gently placing the cat on the ground before they walked toward the Tardis with confusion. As the Doctor opened the small cabinet type thing which held the phone, the ringing got louder.

"How can you be ringing?" He questioned, looking toward Mara who just shrugged with the same question in her mind. "What's that about — ringing? What am I supposed to do with a ringing phone?"

"Answer it, maybe? I don't know — " She shrugged, crossing her arms.

"Don't answer it." A voice made the two look over. There was a woman standing there. Just watching them. Both Mara and the Doctor shared a confused glance before looking back to the woman. She was serious. "It's not for you." The Doctor took a few steps forward, looking at the stranger.

"And how do you know that?" He asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Cause I do." She answered. "And I'm telling ya. Don't answer it."

"Well, if you know so much, tell me this —" The Doctor walked toward the Tardis and stood next to Mara. "— How can it be ringing? It's not even a real phone, it's not connected, it's not..." the two looked back toward the woman who had vanished without a trace. Mara let out a shiver, folding her arms before turning back to the ringing phone.

The Doctor hesitated — not entirely sure how to even answer the phone. He held it up to his ear. "Hello? This is the Doctor speaking. How may I help you?" Mara watched the Doctor's face shift. His smile vanishing. "Who is this? Who's speaking? Who is this?.. how did you ring here? This isn't a real phone, it's not wired up to..." he pulled it away from his ear, looking at it with confusion.

"Who was it?" Mara asked, looking at him.

"I dunno — some.. some kid?" He muttered before yelling from outside the Tardis. "Rose? Rose, are you in there?"

"Want me to check?" Mara suggested. The Doctor nodded before she pointed at him. "You better stay right there — you hear me?"

"Mara, I'd never leave you. Promise." He smiled at her, lightly punching her shoulder before tilting his head toward the Tardis. The woman let out a sigh before entering the Tardis. It was normal, everything was in place but no Rose Tyler. She let out a hum before walking toward the Console.

"Rose, you here?" She shouted. no answer. "Hey," she turned to the console. "My love, is Rose in here?" A hum echoed which Mara recognised as a no. She let out a small confused noise before a clatter echoed from the hallway. She froze. Her boots clicked against the floor as she neared the hallway. A small squeak echoed as Mara jumped out, scaring Athena who had appeared. "Oh, baby, I'm sorry!" She rushed forward, lifting the bunny and holding her close.

"Hold on —" she pulled her away from her chest, holding her in front of her face. "How long have you been in here? I thought you were in my bag!" She let out a small tut before placing Athena in the bag on her shoulder. "You're too cute in this form, I physically cannot stay mad."

As she double checked if Rose was there — no, she wasn't. She turned back toward the Tardis doors, opening them and turned to look at the Doctor. He wasn't there. "Yet he complains about people running off — he just cannot stay in one place for too long, can he?" She mumbled, stepping out into the cold alleyway.

—————————

.• I'm back — again — with a better layout and maybe better writing, I haven't a clue.
I have only just come back to this book, if things from the past are mentioned here or if I
forget about something I wrote in the past, I apologise.