Chapter 6: Stay

Jinora's POV.

It's been a month since Kai and I's agreement. We have about 3 weeks left. Kai still comes to the temple to sleep but he leaves before anyone can see him.

"Do you know where Kai's been going?"-Tenzin.

"No, I checked his usual place. The bartenders see him about once a week."

"Zhu Li is still giving him money for writing reports?"-Pema.

"It's his right to receive the money after being taken."-Jinora.

"I think you're the only one who could really get to him. He usually comes to our apartment but he's stopped coming."-Opal.

"Kai also stopped sending in the letters. He stopped because he's at the part where he kidnapped Kuvira's son. Something happened that day, something he isn't telling anyone."-Bolin.

"I can try to track down the kids he worked with."-Mako

"I guess we wait till then."-Tenzin.

That night I waited in Kai's room. His room was very neat and surprisingly so. The messiest part was his desk. On his wall next to his bed he had pictures of his family, Korra, Assami, His brother, and Opal. On his night stand was a family photo that was right after Varrick's wedding. My father wanted to include him in this photo. He had drawings and cards from my siblings above his desk. Also on his desk were a few letters from everyone when we did know where he was we'd send letters.

I waited for a few hours and Kai hopped in from the window. He was different, he was smiling and his faded skin and eyes were back to normal. He gave a soft smile then his grim face reappeared.

"What are you doing here?"- Kai said with almost a stutter.

"Where have you been? What have you been doing?"

"I wish I could tell you. But I can't not yet."-Kai grew a small smirk and smile.

I hugged him. "I've missed you. This you."

"I know everyone has."-Kai.

"Why aren't you letting us help you."

Kai sat on his bed and slumped over. I sat next to him.

"Because what I did in the war shouldn't be celebrated. It wasn't just 4 people who took the boy. There were more of us. I left them behind to die. I left my own kind to die. Some of them didn't die. I see them here and I wonder if they know I was the one who ordered the kids to escape."-Kai.

"I didn't know."

"I don't expect anyone to know. I know I don't deserve your love but do you have an answer?"-Kai.

I kissed him before answering. "Love isn't conditional."

I got up but Kai graved my hand.

"Stay please? When I first arrived I couldn't sleep because I couldn't stand being alone in the dark. I'd stay up all night because I was reminded of everything that happened."-Kai.

"That's what the medication was for?"

"Yeah."-Kai

"I'll stay just for a bit."