The Visitors

Dedicated to Sam and Cougar Camp.
This is my first original story that I've written on Wattpad, and it is very personal to me. Thank you for reading.

The thick pine trees blurred into a green mass as Caden stared blankly though the dew covered glass, the constant movement and gentle rattling of their RV lulling him into a sleepy daze.
They had been driving for the last three days, only stopping once or twice for sleep and snacks at the nearest gas station. Not that either Caden or his mom slept very much.
Ever since they'd packed up and left their apartment in Atlanta it seemed like his mom wanted to forget everything about their previous life. Photo albums, indeed most of their non-practical belongings were left behind. Caden had barely had time to pack his toothbrush and his favorite TinTin book before they were off on the long drive to their new home, a small town in the middle of nowhere.
Oregon. Caden had barely even heard of Oregon.

It had all began less than a week ago. An otherwise normal day. His dad came home from work, anxious. His father was never anxious. Caden was only twelve, and therefore sent to his room before his dad could spill the exact details. Through the crack in the door Caden made out his father and mother arguing about something his dad had seen. Something he wasn't supposed to. They didn't sound angry, just desperate. Like they didn't know what to do.
Then the front door slammed shut. His mom was crying.

The next time Caden saw his dad was two days later, embalmed in a casket. No one would tell him what had happened, but strange men in black suits attended the funeral service, causing a stir.
They looked like they were from government, but no one knew who they were. Then his mom had them packing the second they got back from the funeral and off they went. He had never seen her so scared.

Seeing the body that had once been his loving father stirred something in Caden that never knew he had in him. It started as a chill, a chill that spread throughout his body, tightening his muscles and throat. He should be crying...but somehow the only thing he could feel right now was a suffocating apathy. Constant coldness. Emptiness. The books and projects that once were his world now seemed childish and irrelevant. Not worth the effort. What even was?
Caden was leaving behind a few friends, not that he was one of the popular kids in school. Just a few other guys who liked the same nerdy things he did.

None of it mattered. None of it would bring his dad back. So Caden sat there the entire drive, and pondered if anything would. About how much was really in his control.

After days of watching plains zoom past his window, cities and towns and looming mountains, they had finally reached Oregon. Wild deserts, then picturesque forests and even higher mountains dominated the landscape. Caden recalled reading a book about The Oregon Trail once. He wondered if the pioneers were scared to enter into this wild, dangerous looking land. Caden felt scared too.
But as long as he had his own bed and food he would be satisfied, after all his mother would be working full time to pay for the property.

His mom turned around with a forced smile, clearly having another one of her migraines again, "Caden, honey? You okay back there?"

Caden nodded phlegmatically. They were alive. Nothing else mattered really.

"We can stop in a few minutes if you need to go to the bathroom, or get some lunch—"

"I'm fine mom, really" Caden said, irritation creeping into his voice, "can't I just stay in here? Please?"

His mom gave him another concerned look but finally nodded, "just tell me if you change your mind, and stay buckled."
He could tell from her voice and the dark bags under her eyes that she was tired too.

"Yes mom" Caden replied flatly. Ever since the funeral everyone, his mother, neighbors, kids who had never even talked to him before from school, even teachers were following him twenty four-seven; asking him if he was alright, how he was holding up, telling him they were sorry.
Why couldn't they all just back off? Caden didn't want their pity. He just wanted to get rid of that empty, lonely feeling inside of him.

Several hours and two pit stops later his mother smiled hopefully at him through the rearview mirror, "Caden, we're here honey"

Caden grunted and awoke from a doze, "Where?"

"Our new home, see? Appleton."

Little did Caden know that Appleton would change his life forever...
In more ways than one...

•••

Thanks for reading. Please comment if you have thoughts on this chapter. Chapter two coming pretty soon. Peace folks.