Chapter 2

Days passed and it was the day before antonio's gift ceremony, the town was twice as busy preparing for the special day. Townspeople were placing candles along the road leading to the madrigal's home.

Elyna and nico were both busy preparing ingredients to cook for tomorrow's event, they had offered to help julieta to prepare food for the guests.

They were in town again, they were both tasked to buy ingredients and it was quite a lot. Elyna was holding the list of groceries, reciting them beside nico as they looked around the small market. "I can't wait for tomorrow's ceremony! It's not everyday you get to witness someone getting a special gift" Nico had kept on rumbling how excited he was for tomorrow, Elyna nodded in agreement as the last time they had attended a gift ceremony was camilo's.

Picking up the last grocery on the list, both friends decided to take a break and sat down on a nearby bench in the plaza, It was a hot day, both were fanning theirselves with their hands.

While taking a break, nico had spotted the eldest madrigal grandchild having a conversation with someone not too far from them, Nico nudged elyna as he pointed at isabela's direction with his lips. Elyna frowned at nico rubbing the arm he had nudged, she watched as he pointed somewhere and followed his gaze. Her eyes fell on isabela and immediately looked at nico, nico had a smug face on wriggling his eyebrows at his bestfriend.

"I know you've got a thing with isabela" he smirked before nudging elyna again. "How did-'' before elyna could finish her sentence nico let out a chuckle. "You always stare at her, you have this look that says im in love" he rambled on imitating how elyna looked.

Elyna felt embarrassed and hit nico's arm, nico let out a yelp as he held his arm while chuckling. "C'mon im your bestfriend, of course i'd know who my bestfriend likes" he smiled at elyna, moments later he stood up and picked up their groceries "i think its time we head back to señora julieta. Elyna nodded and stood up as well and picked up the remaining groceries.

Nico smirked as an idea popped up, Nico purposely lead elyna to where isabela was, as they passed by he called out to the madrigal granchild. "Hola, Isabela~" panic painted elyna's face as she looked away, she knew nico was up to something suddenly calling out isabela.

Upon hearing her name, isabela turned to look at them "hola~" she smiled and waved at nico, she glances over to elyna and smiled widely "hola, elyna". Elyna froze as she looked at isabela, a blush creeping on her cheeks as she waved back with a slight struggle due to the bag of groceries.

Feeling embarrassed elyna kicked nico at the back of his leg making him yelp in pain, he let out an awkward chuckle afterwards and followed elyna who had walked ahead, isabela could only tilt her head in confusion watching the two friends walk away.

Elyna couldn't stop her heart from beating so loud and fast, she could feel her face heating up as the memory of her interaction with isabela flashed back as if it was replaying right before her again.

"She said my name.." elyna mumbled, nico who had caught up to her and was walking beside her tilted his head as he moved closer to her "who said what?" He asked. "Isabela said my name"  she repeated.

There wasn't a lot of interactions between them as far as elyna remembered, she only remembers having exchanged smiles and waves with isabela, nothing more than that.

"I'm now convinced you won't be able to start a conversation with isabela, you become frozen solid just by her smile! I'd guessed you'd melt when she starts talking to you" He said smirking at the thought of his best friend losing herself in front of her crush. He knew that elyna liked girls when they were young, He was quite an observant guy that he noticed how her best friend would blush seeing a certain madrigal walking around town.

They soon arrived at the casita, both heading to the kitchen, they greeted julieta who was doing some cooking. "Señora, here are all the groceries from the list" elyna said, placing down the grocery bags on the counter. "Gracias, you guys really helped me out a lot" julieta gave both nico and elyna a glass of juice before returning to cooking.

"It's no problem señora, we thought you might need some help especially everyone from town would be coming over" nico and elyna sat down by the counter as they took a sip from the glass of juice.

"How about staying over for lunch? I'm sure you guys had missed breakfast because of me" julieta gave them an apologetic smile, placing down a plate of croquetas on the counter. Both friends look at each other and nodded "if you don't mind having us over" nico and elyna grinned, they both felt a little nervous as it would be the first time they'll eat with the madrigals.

"Okay great! I already have mirabel put extra plates on the table, would you mind help me bring these foods to the table?" Julieta asked as she pointed over to the already finished dishes on the counter, elyna nodded as nico picked up the half of the dishes leaving elyna with the other half, they proceeded to walk to the dining area and placing the food down the table.

Mirabel walked in with a tray of glasses, spotting nico and elyna she had smiled widely hurrying over to the both of them. "Are you guys joining us for lunch?" She asked excitedly as she stared at her friends.

Nico nodded as he sported a smirk on his face, he walked towards mirabel and whispered something to her, mirabel's face lit up as she let out a giggle, elyna for some reason started to feel somewhat nervous.

It wasn't long before it was time for lunch, one by one the madrigals have arrived and sat down the table, nico sat down on the other end of the table, opposite to abuela, elyna thought of sitting next to nico so she walked towards him, right before her butt could sit down the chair, mirabel had immediately sat on it, leaving elyna puzzled.

Mirabel pointed on the sit next to her and elyna who had no choice but to move there, she was baffled by the young madrigal's action. Opposite to elyna was camilo who waved and smiled at her, soon enough the eldest grandchild arrived, elyna thought she'd sit down on the opposite side but froze when isabela sat down next to her.

She turned to look at nico who had a smirk and mirabel with a teasing smile, elyna had guessed that they planned this. She sent them a glare before composing herself.

"We're glad that you could join us, elyna and nicolas" abuela spoke up as she gave both teens a smile, " i'd like to thank both of you for helping out with the preparations" she added.

" it's no problem señora, we're glad to be of help for the ceremony" elyna said with a smile, the rest of the madrigals smiled in appreciation.

"Alright! Lets dig in" abuela announced as they all ate lunch and the rest of the day goes by without a hitch.