Chapter 6

Sokka stood in the doorway for a second, watching Zuko practice his fire bending forms. He saw how concentrated he was and how forcefully, but gracefully, he controlled the fire. He had forgotten how beautiful fire bending was since he had gone months without seeing it on full display. True he traveled with Aang, but he only used it when it was necessary. Sokka decided he should probably leave to avoid any awkwardness so he turned around.

"Hey, Sokka," Zuko called.

Uh oh. Sokka turned around with an awkward smile and waved. "Hey, Zuko," he said. Zuko continued to practice his forms.

"So, having fun jerk bending?" Sokka asked, trying to act normal and not be nervous.

Zuko ignored him, but Sokka noticed a smile crept onto his face.

"Well, Katara said there were some swords I could practice with in here, soo umm...," Sokka explained as he walked more into the gym. There was some awkward silence between the two of them as Zuko still didn't break from his practice.

"Whew, it's hot in here," Sokka said fanning himself trying to break the silence.

"Ummm.. yeah," Zuko said as he stopped for the first time since Sokka arrived. "Fire is hot."

They looked at each other. Sokka rubbed the back of his neck not knowing what to say. He decided that he should just bring up the cuddling to get it over with.

"So um. About earlier," he started. He looked at the ground then looked back up at Zuko. For some reason, the way Zuko was looking at him made him blush the slightest bit and something deep inside him changed. He pressed his lips together.

"Yeah?" Zuko waited. His heart was pounding a million miles per second. He realized he knew that Sokka had been cuddling with him. Zuko started overthinking about what could come out of Sokka's mouth. He didn't want to hear what was coming next in fear that it would be denial or something.

"I can show you the swords," Zuko blurted out.

Sokka stared for a second, but then quickly regained himself. "Yeah! That'll be perfect," Sokka said. This is too awkward. He wanted to slap himself in the forehead.

"Ok. They're over here," Zuko waved Sokka over as he turned and walked to a door against the back of the gym. Why didn't I just let him talk? Zuko thought.

When they made it to the door, Zuko went to open it.

"Wait," Sokka said.

Zuko turned to look at him which made Sokka try to avoid eye contact by looking around the room.

"I know once you open the door I'm gonna get so distracted so I need to tell you now," Sokka explained looking everywhere but at Zuko.

"Okay?" Zuko said, kind of confused.

"Umm.. im sorry for cuddling with you earlier," Sokka slowly said, "It's just that I was used to sleeping with Suki. And- no. That came out wrong." Sokka could feel his face turning the deepest shade of red there ever was. "I meant like, sleeping in the same bed with her! Not doing anything. Like we'd kiss but that was it. But I was just-"

"Sokka," Zuko interrupted. He had a warm and gentle smile on his face.

Sokka hiccuped and finally made eye contact with Zuko. "Yeah?" He asked.

"It's fine. Don't worry about it," Zuko said. "That's not why I had to leave if that's what you were worried about."

Relief hit Sokka. He almost wanted to collapse to the ground. "Ohh ok," he sighed. Thank the Spirits I didn't mess things up. He thought.