5. Nothing's Wrong.

∆∆∆∆∆∆

∆∆∆∆∆∆

(Kylie's POV)

The next day I tried rallying some concentration so I could finish some school work, but my ringing phone undid all my hardwork.

The house was empty at the time, and the silence helped a little.

I set down my pen and glanced at my phone, wanting to identify the caller.

It was Ryder.

Briefly, I considered ignoring the call and blaming it on the school work, but I decided against it. I wanted everyone to stop worrying, and I knew that ignoring them wasn't going to help.

So, I slid the button and answered the call.

"Hey, Ryder!" I smiled, while hoping it didn't look too artificial.

"Kylie!" Ryder's wide smile held no scepticism, so I'd done a good job.

"How was the game?" I asked.

Immediately, Ryder's eyes lit up.

They'd won.

"We won!" He cheered.

"That's great!"

"I know. All thanks to your boyfriend. He played like a king."

My smile became a little more genuine.

"He always plays like a king."

"True, true." Ryder grinned.

"So, uh... Judging from the fact that the game wasn't your first topic, that wasn't what you'd called about." I noted.

"Yeah... Hit the nail right on the head."

"So? Why did you call?"

"Honestly? To see if you'd pick up. You've not returned my past 32 missed calls or my last 60 texts. And I know you've seen all of them."

"I can't do this right now, Ryder."

"Okay, hang up then. Go ahead, hang up." Ryder challenged.

My fingers wouldn't move. They seemed frozen to the spot, like a silent protest against hanging up.

"That's what I thought." Ryder muttered darkly. "What's going on?"

"Nothing." I insisted. "Really, I'm fine."

"Sure you are."

"Please, Ryder. Believe me, nothing is going on."

"Are you seriously going to lie to me?!" He asked, voice getting louder.

"I'm not lying!"

"Oh really, Kylie? Really? You're not lying?! What have you been doing?!"

"Stop it, Ryder. Nothing's going on, I swear!"

Ryder yelled out.

"THEN WHAT ARE YOU SO AFRAID OF?"

"ENOUGH!" I shouted, equally loudly.

"Sure. If you're not going to talk, then don't. I'm done here. Please continue ignoring my calls and texts, and don't even bother calling to find out how I am. We're done here, you don't exist to me anymore."

Ryder's face blinked off the screen without another breath.

I had been leaning against my wall, talking to Ryder, and from where I was I flung my phone hard at the bed, before curling up, and trying to curb my sobs.

Why did everything feel like it was collapsing?

~~~~~~

I woke up a little later completely sore from my weird position on the floor. And judging by the lack of sound in the house, no one was home yet.

Quietly, I grabbed some fresh clothes from my cupboard and rushed off to go shower.

I locked the bathroom door as silently as I could, and put on the water heater. Then, I waited.

The tears fell as soon as the water began to fall, and before long, steam had filled the bathroom and I was finding it hard to breathe.

My eyes felt sore and tired and itchy, and I'm sure they looked puffy and red, but I couldn't help it. The tears didn't stop.

I dried myself and dressed before stumbling out of the stuffy bathroom and heading for the first window I saw.

I yanked it open and sighed.

The fresh, cold air was always welcome. Especially when it felt like the walls were closing in. And that's when I made up my mind.

I grabbed my sneakers out of my drawer and pulled them on, then I grabbed my keys and I left to go downstairs.

A walk would help clear my head.

The lift chimed and opened for me and I stepped inside, watching fascinatedly as the doors closed.

The seconds ticked by- almost a hundred- before the lift stopped, and the door opened, making me regret my descision to come down immediately.

Because standing there, with their backs to me, were the first people I began ghosting. And I knew I'd just signed my death warrant when they turned around, eyes locking fiercely with mine.

"Kylie." Aiden began coldly. "I'm surprised to know you aren't dead."