Chapter 1- Lock Your Window

There was a shuffling noise in the right corner of my room, close to my window that I had left open to let the cool night air in and the hot summer air out. I'm so lucky, I can't run the air conditioner at night because it apparently costs too much to be running 24/7. Please note the sarcasm.

My eyes remained closed, not thinking much of it. It was probably just some leaves that accidentally got blown in by the wild wind. My eyes then shot open when I heard something different--footsteps. There couldn't possibly be someone in my house could there? I knew for sure it wasn't my foster parents, I lock my door at night so that my Irish Setter can't get out. She learned how to open doors with her paws, watching me. My house is one of those older ones that require keys to unlock the doors. I felt my bed jar almost as if someone hit it and then a thud following soon after. It's just Scarlett.. Right? Right?

"Shit." A man growled and I froze like a deer in headlights.

Scarlett shot up from beside me and barked aggressively. I popped my head out of the covers to see a white hoodie or jacket heading out the window. The mans skin was oddly pale but those two details were the only things I could make out.

"Shh, Scarlett." I tossed the covers back and stood beside my bed. Cautiously, I made my over to the window and shut it then locked it. I shuffled my feet over my cold bedroom floor and back over to my bed and went to sleep. I didn't get scared very easily but when somebody potentially dangerous climbs through your window on the second floor of your home, yeah it's a bit heart stopping.
--------------------------------------------Eh, well this is chapter one.