05✧Tryouts

"I'm Myles

"I'm Myles. And you look like you need some humor in your life." That was the first thing he says to me before sticking his hand out in the introduction.

I don't shake his hand, I just stare.

It was Wednesday, the first day of tryouts. The other boys around were dribbling basketballs and practicing their shots. I was doing the same until this kid interrupted me.

"Not a hand shaker, noted. So, I see that you're new here. You have this cold demeanor to you, did you know that? Not very approachable, but lucky for you I can be friends with just about anybody," he smiles.

"Not really looking for a friend."

"Oh, yeah, that's what they all say at first but then they get to know me, and BAM I'm the best friend that you got."

I ignore him and take a shot at the basket. The ball goes in without hitting the rim.

"Nothing but net," Myles comments. "Have you played on a team before?"

"Yup," is my only response. Playing with the other kids around the neighborhood doesn't really count as a team I guess, but the practice was the same. I'm used to playing on dirty concrete with basketball hoops that had beaten-up headboards and no nets attached to the rims. But like I said, the practice was the same.

"How are your layups looking?" he asks.

Some kid passes my ball back to me and I waste no time running it up to the hoop. With layups, it was about control of the ball and knowing the space between you and the hoop. When the headboard is fast approaching, I leap up to the hoop and bounce it off the backboard, so it goes directly into the net.

"Cool, very nice. What about your 3-point shots?"

I sigh impatiently. "What are you? Team captain?"

"No, Coach Leland doesn't believe in team captains. But I'm as close as it gets," He smiles again.

I dribble the ball slowly to the three-point arc, starting at the very left side where there's no backboard to help me. I swish the shot. When I get the ball back, I position myself at the center of the arc behind the free throw zone, but I still don't use the backboard to help me get this shot either. I walk over to the right side of the three-point line before Myles passes the ball back to me and I easily make it from this position too.

"Not bad, new kid," He gives an impressed nod of his head.

"My name's Roman," I tell him. Fuck being referred to as the new kid.

"Well Roman, it's not up to me but I'd say you made the team anyway."

I give him a short nod as the doors open at the end of the room. It's a group of girls that was said to be sharing the gym with us for tryouts. It seemed like a dumb fucking idea since half the boys were distracted already.