21 ❥ Entertain Me

I didn't originally plan to bring Valentina with me on my very first hangout with Roman outside of school, it kind of just happened

Part because I was scared he was going to ask more questions. Which I know, I know. Making connections with people meant that you were bound to bond through history and who you are today and blah blah blah.

But the thought of sharing some of the darkest moments of my life with Roman made me feel a little anxious. And intimidated. And like... scared.

I was going to get over it eventually. I actually really liked having Roman as a part of my routine. I can't keep running from his questions forever. But for the time being, I would use Valentina as my defense.

She said she needed to see Julius for something anyway, but really I think she was just worried about leaving me alone with Roman. I know she thinks he's an ass, but I haven't really seen that side of him much.

When I knock on the door, Roman opens it after just a moment. His green gaze goes from me to Valentina behind me and his face hardens. He tugs me by the arm to pull me inside and slams the door in my friend's face.

"Roman," I scolded.

His frown turns to me. "Why is she here?" He scolds back.

"Because she's my friend and I don't trust you with her," Valentina's muffled voice calls from the other side of the door. "Open the damn door, Roman."

I move to open the door. Roman makes a sound at the back of his throat that's practically a growl but he also doesn't stop me. Valentina only glares when she steps inside and then walks past us to settle herself on the couch.

"Where's Julius?" She asks.

"Should be at work for another half hour." Roman walks us to what I assume is their dinner table. I suppose their house is small but it's also cozy and I have no trouble feeling comfortable. I had lived in smaller homes after all and those were definitely not as comfortable.

"Sit yourself down, Bear. I'll go get my things." Roman walked down a hallway and stepped into a room.

"Bear?" Val asked in absolute confusion. And maybe a little bit of disgust.

I laugh at her reaction. "Um yeah? The first time I introduced myself he thought he heard me say Bear. I've corrected him multiple times, but I guess it just kind of stuck." I shrug.

Valentina says nothing, she just marinates in her stuck look of suspicion.

Val switches the TV on for herself when Roman comes back. "How's your wrist?" He asked me.

"It's okay. I've been good at resting it." Shifts at the cafe have been just a little more difficult but I managed well enough considering.

"And you've been icing it?"

"I haven't had the chance today, but yes, I've been icing it."

He nods. I open my books and wait for him to join me. Roman rummages through the freezer before he slumps down in his chair. A bag of peas is thrown on the table near me.

"Let me see," I hear him mumble when I begin undoing the velcro of my brace. He takes my wrist in his hands, running his fingers gently over the sore muscle before applying pressure. It slowly turns to a steady massage.

"You seem like you know what you're doing," I observe. I take a deep breath of relief at the feeling of his fingers kneading into my wrist.

"I get sprains from basketball. It helps the blood flow. Supposed to help you heal faster."

I smile. "Thank you." I lean my chin on my arm as he keeps his massage and draw my focus on the TV that Valentina is watching. It's hard to focus on anything but his touch, but I manage.

After a while, Roman and I worked on our presentation. He needs help getting started, but once we get the ball rolling, he's working away efficiently enough on his own.

I liked watching him work, liked watching his mannerisms when he's focused. Like the way his eyes slightly squint when he's reading something or the way he runs the eraser of his pencil through his dark hair or rubs the back of his jaw when he's thinking hard about something. I would sneak glances every now and then between my own work.

One time, his eyes shift over to me as I watch him. I would usually be mortified if someone caught me staring at them. The small feeling of warmth in my cheeks is proof that I do feel slightly embarrassed, but I liked watching his eyes most of all. How the darkness of his thick lashes made it almost seem like he was forever wearing eyeliner.

However, before it got weird, I offered him a small smile before I got up from my chair and went to go see what Val was doing on the couch. I can feel Roman's eyes on me at the back of my head.

"My brain is fried from too much school. Entertain me." I throw a pillow on Val's lap and plop my head down on top of it.

Just then the front door opens. "Hey Jules," Valentina calls as her older cousin walks through the front door.

Julias doesn't say a word as he enters the room. In fact, he looks a little pale when he sets his keys down and closes his gaze on Roman still scribbling away at the kitchen table.

"Roman," he cuts through the silence. Roman looks up from his notebook and his features grow darker as if he can sense something is wrong. "Mom's outside."

Valentina curses under her breath and then looks towards the ceiling. "Jesus, this is not the type of entertainment she meant."

✎ A/N: Sorry for the late update

A/N: Sorry for the late update. Nobody told me it was Monday ☹️