Chapter 2: The Human

A.N: In the previous chapter I'd referred to the chair Grey was sitting in as a sofa. It's actually a recliner. My bad.

POV: Justin

I run to the front porch through the falling sheets of rain. Jamming my key into the lock, I shove the door open.

"Ugh, man, what a day," I mutter, "Mondays always suck, but this one was a real pain in the--"

Wait a minute. I remember leaving the kitchen light on this morning, but the house is completely dark. Did the storm knock the power out?

I flick the light switch. Warm light fills the room.

"Hmm." I turn on the hall light. No, everything is working fine. "Maybe there was a surge or a brownout."

That's probably what happened, with how the storm's been carrying on. Another round of thunder rolls by, muffled but not too distant. It's going to be raining for a while.

Shrugging off my soaked jacket, I toss it onto the table. Walking around the kitchen, I get a glass of water and grab some takeout leftovers from the fridge.

Just before I can sit down and dig in, my phone starts buzzing. Ugh. I snatch it up and head into the living room.

"Hello?"

"Hello Justin!" it's my landlady. I cringe inwardly. She's a nice woman but she doesn't call me unless there's bad news. "How are you doing?"

"I'm doing fine, ma'am." I adjust the throw on the recliner without thinking before sitting down. I pull the lever on the side and stretch my tired legs.

"I'm calling you to remind you of the rent charge. It goes up this weekend, starts on the 1st."

My head falls against the chair in annoyance. The 65$ upcharge, that's next month. "Thank you, Macie, I didn't forget."

Something shifts in the corner of my vision, in the kitchen. I lean forward. Did the light just flicker?

"You know, Justin... You're one of my better tenants, and you've been here for nearly four years. I'd hate to lose you. You should consider finding another roommate."

Not this again. "I kinda like having the space to myself you know? The last time I had a roommate it didn't end so well."

There's a sudden crash, and I jerk forward in my seat. The noise continues, screeches and pulls of metal through the ceiling. Did something get knocked over?

"Justin, you can't use one situation as a base for all future scenarios. It would be easier all the way around..."

I stand up, barely listening to my landlady. There's nothing. Was it just a really loud thunderclap? Or maybe it was on the other side of the duplex.

Then it starts again, shrieking through the silence in the house. It sets the hairs on my neck on edge. No, that's definitely on my side. Right above me, in fact.

"I'm just saying, in this economy it's worth considering-- are you still there? Justin?"

I run to the foyer and up the stairs.

The hall is empty, nothing is toppled over or smashed on the floor. There's only the steady pounding of the rain knocking against my ears. With a sigh, I cross my arms and stare at the ceiling. What was the noise? And why is my heart still beating off rhythm?

"Wait a second... is the hatch down?"

"What hatch? Are you listening?"

"Huh? Uh, sorry, I'm just... the attic--"