lose her. frank castle

'Could you do frank/reader where reader gets shot and frank goes full protective/worried that he's going to lose someone else?? :)'

you had left the flowers out for him but you'd had no contact. you were beginning to think that something could be seriously wrong with him, and you had no way of knowing where he was or in what kind of state he was in. you chewed your fingers as you sat at your desk, eyes trained on the email sitting on your screen in front of you but really you hadn't read a single word. your eyebrows softly furrowed together as you sat so deep and lost in thought you hadn't noticed foggy leave his office and enter yours.

"any luck?" he held the file containing the case details in hand, eyes not leaving the sheets of paper at first as he scanned the dates on the page for any discrepancies. "y/n?" he lifted his head, eyes trailing upwards when he heard no response. he tilted his head slightly, he looked you up and down. you were completely unaware of his presence despite him being only a few feet away. "hey," he stepped closer, snapping his fingers a couple times to catch your attention.

your head snapped in foggy's direction, eyebrows unknitting and a vacant, lost expression fogging over your wide eyes. "oh hey, fog," you muttered quietly, clearing your throat and straightening your back. "what's up?"

his eyebrows twitched into a small frown. "just checking how you're getting on with the march files," your lips parted forming a small 'o', feeling caught out as you glanced down at the unopened folder sitting in front of you on your desk. "i'm having no luck with april."

"i--uh--sorry, i haven't-- i haven't looked at them yet," you scrambled around on your desk, scooping up the relevant files and gathering them together. "i'm-- uh-- i'm just in my head a bit. i think i'm gonna take a quick break," your palm pressed against your forehead, trying to ease the headache you had forming. "go for a walk or something."

foggy's frown deepened as he watched you collect the folders on your desk and clutch them in your arms, pressed against your chest in a tight hug. you ran your hand through your hair, grabbing your bag and your phone. "sure," foggy nodded, trying not to read too much into this. you'd be working just as long hours as he had on this case trying to figure out how best to present it in court next week. he figured the least you deserved was a break to clear your head. he just hoped that's all it was. his eyes trailed after you as you moved around the office collecting various items and shoving them into your bag.

"i'll try not to be too long," you mumbled as you moved around your desk and towards the door. "thanks foggy," you nudged his arm as you walked past him, closing the door behind you before he could even get a word in.

"see you later i guess," he mumbled to himself after you left. everyone seemed to be awol lately.

--

you sat in your apartment, eyes trained on the white roses sitting on your windowsill, willing them to be seen. your coffee cup locked between your fingers had grown cold, half drunk since you had lost your focus on anything besides those flowers a while ago.

you let out a sigh that you hadn't realised you'd been holding, setting your cup down on the coffee table and running your fingers through your hair (which was growing increasingly messy from your nervous habit). you had been convinced he always had eyes on those flowers, he always made sure to contact you pretty quickly after you presented them.

you had no address, no phone number, nothing of use. you felt at a loss. you really needed that walk to clear your head now, sitting at home thinking about every possible worse scenario was not helping at all. decisively you grabbed your phone and dialled the only number you could think of to help you with your predicament.