Day Eight - Side Story

I started today off like any other. I rolled out of bed at the inn, literally. The hard wood floor was always the best way to wake myself up at three in the morning, although I did get a few complaints every so often from light sleepers.

Then, I'd wander downstairs after getting dressed and go outside into the cold, morning air where I'd begin my morning exercise, followed by sword practice. Those two activities usually lasted for around three to four hours, leaving me just enough time to scamper over to the well, gather some water, find some privacy,  strip down and pour it over me. It wasn't like I'd get any jobs smelling like a sweaty ogre's behind.

I couldn't help but smile though as I remembered that my search for a more permanent position seemed to be coming to a close soon. While I had been practicing my swordsmanship for a while and gained the [Warrior] job, my level was still rather low. That was why I had to rely on one of my other two jobs to make ends meet until I could properly fulfil quests as a 'real' adventurer. I could go back home to what was left of my family to work as a [Farmer] or I could get some work experience and make a bunch of connections as a [Porter]. I chose the latter.

It was tough work and admittedly not very rewarding. Most parties I joined would only give me the bare minimum after completing any quests with me. The reasons differed but the most common ones were "you're not a main member so it's only natural you'd get less" and "You're just a Porter. What were you expecting?" Honestly, I was pretty close to giving up.

That was until I met the Jade Eagle party. After I finished cleaning up, I was on my way to meet up with them. It had been a full day since we went into the [Undead Underground], the Town's resident dungeon and lifeblood. Nobody had made it to the final boss yet but I had a feeling that if anyone could do it, it'd be the Jade Eagles.

When I walked into the tavern where the others were having breakfast, I was greeted warmly by the Ranger, Kreia. Her aim was impeccable and her beauty was an inspiration to many young girl's in the town. Then there was Derrick, the large, incredibly buff father figure of the group. He was tough but fair and always offered advice when anyone needed or wanted it. He was the one who found me when I was on the verge of quitting and convinced me to give it another go with them.

"Oh, Lia. Glad you showed up. We were just going over the game plan for the 6th to 10th floor."

That was Arthur, a fantastic swordsman and the leader of the party. His wish to explore freely, along with his beautiful, jade-coloured eyes were why the party was named what it was.

"Great! Let me order breakfast and I'll be right over."

I couldn't help myself from smiling wildly. I'd finally found a party that were willing to treat me fairly and let me feel like a proper member.

I quickly ordered my meal and took a seat in the free spot of the round table, waiting for Arthur to continue the plan. It was similar to the plan from last time. Derrick at the front, keeping the enemies focused on him while Arthur dealt with them and Kreia provided support from the rear. Me? I was the [Porter]. It was my job to make sure the drops were properly packed away in good condition so that they could be sold for a higher price. Yeah, I know I wasn't participating in the actual fight but my role was almost as important. After all, without a Porter, collecting all the drops for five floors would be impossible. Normally, they had to stop after only two, so my presence was invaluable. That's what they said.

Arthur went on to warn me not to get too close and stay at the back while Derrick asked if I'd done what he suggested. The other two looked a little confused but I smiled and nodded in affirmation before pulling out my 'new' buckler. In truth, it was one of the cheapest in stock but something was better than nothing, right?