Part 16

The new base always got so quiet this time of night. Maybe you could faintly hear someone playing music if you really tried hard enough. But even then, it was absolutely silent. It was clear some people liked it that way, and any disturbance would be unwelcome and maybe even punished for.

Tomura shuffled out of his room. Normally, he wasn't very picky about a new space. He'd make it his own in time and besides, if he really wanted to be the ruler of all villains he'd have to get used to nice new places like this. But this night in particular, was off. He couldn't sleep. Even though he was beyond exhausted and even weak, he couldn't fall asleep. He'd tried for hours now, laying in bed waiting. He's dealt with insomnia before, but before it was different.

His feet slid against the carpet as he dragged himself down the hallway and into a living space. The lights were off, only illuminated by the light of the moon that found its way into the large space. His eyes traveled along the silhouettes of furniture before finding something else. A figure, sat alone in one of the couches. Their hidden face turned away, watching out the window. For a moment he went to turn back, but the more he watched, he realized who it was.

The sound of Shigaraki clearing his throat startled you. You shook out of your line of thought and abruptly turned. There he stood, with a blank expression. Your heart raced in your chest, taking its time to slow down when you realized it was just Tomura.

"Oh shit. You scared me." You told him, shrugging off your initial reaction.

"What are you doing?" He asked firmly.

"I couldn't sleep. So I thought I'd try to catch the sun rising."

"The sun doesn't come up for another hour."

"I know." You looked back out the pitch black window. Watching Tomura's reflection as he walked around the couch and sat down.

"I can't sleep either."

"I'm sorry."

"Stop that."

"Huh?"

"How many times do I have to tell you to stop apologizing for things that aren't your fault?" He scolded.

"It's a reflex. I just want people to know I'm sympathetic to their situations."

"Well I don't need or want your sympathy."

"Okay then, tough guy." You rested your head on your hand. When was the last time you were alone together? Like truly, alone? Should you be alone together? Isn't he some unyielding force to be reckoned with? But right here, right now, he just looks like some guy. "Hey, Shigaraki?"

"What?"

"After you rule the world. Whats the plan after that?" He paused and thought for a moment.

"Rebuild."

"No I know that. I meant, for you. What's the plan for you?" He looked at you with narrowed eyes.

"I said I'll rebuild."

"No I-" you sighed in your frustration, "I mean for you, personally. Like, I understand this goal is your livelihood and everything for you but after you complete everything, after all of that is done with. Do you have a plan after that?"

"No. This is my plan."

"So you have no interest in anything outside of this plan?"

"No I don't."

"That's a lie." You blurted.

"What?"

"That's a lie. You have other interests. What about your video games? And the foods you like!" He rolled his eyes.