Chapter 6: The Lone Warrior

Aura's POV

Falling through the darkness, the chains of time reached out to grab me.

No joke.

The chains were very thin, almost wire-like. I could sense Fluffy getting entangled off to my right. I could also sense others above me getting caught as well. As I fell, I noticed that someone was fighting the chains attempting to break free. The person was lower than most with two others... I'm surprised I could still tell, even if I was so far down.

Another thing I noticed was that the chains couldn't grab me. They whacked my skin, leaving a few gashes here and there. Other than that, none wrapped around me. Soon I sensed the opening of a portal approaching.

A light appeared as I exited the portal, only for the gravity to change from below me to my side. My momentum sent me tumbling across an open field, only to stop at the edge by landing back first, upside down into a tree. I heard a gasp nearby, but the tumble had left me so dazed that I couldn't see straight.

A few seconds later, I fell to my side groaning. A voice to my left made me glance up.

"Oh my! Are you alright?" a man with red hair asked, a look of worry in his eyes. A young boy hid behind him, looking at me incredulously.

"If you count the fact that I just got catapulted out of a portal and lost all my kids to the chains of time, then yes. I am alright," I groaned, attempting to lift myself off the ground.

Keyword: attempting.

I face-planted, my arms and legs screaming in pain from the tumble. I tried once more, only to fail again. Out of nowhere, I felt someone shift me into a sitting position. It was the man. He looked very worried.

"I would suggest sitting still for a moment," he said softly, a hand on my shoulder to keep me from falling over. "I don't know the extent of your damage yet."

"I'm fine, I'm fine," I replied, attempting to move. The man had a pretty strong grip.

"No, you are not," he replied sternly, glaring into my eyes. "You are obviously hurt. I'm taking you back to my house to bandage you up."

"O-oh... t-that won't be necessary-" I attempt to say, only to find myself being scooped up bridal-style and carried into the woods.

"I'm helping you, no matter what you say," the man replied, walking forward in long strides. His son was barely keeping up to his right. Holy cow... this man is TALL.

"But-"

"No buts," he said, cutting me off.

"O-o-okay..."

The man and boy walked in silence, me feeling awkward that I had to be carried. After a few minutes, I decided to speak up.

"H-hey, thanks for the help..."

"It's no problem," the man replied, glancing down at me for a moment. "Whether you are friend or foe, I can't just leave you there to die."

Right as he said that, we broke through the trees to see a small, but quaint, house. Smoke billowed from the chimney. The man walked up the stone/gravel path to the front porch. The boy ran ahead and opened the door, leading to a cozy interior. As we walked inside, the boy ran around the bend of the hall.

"PAPA! SABRE! WE'RE HOME! AND WE FOUND SOMEONE!"

The child's voice could be heard all the way from where the man stood with me in his arms. I felt even more embarrassed of the situation now.

"Umm..." I spoke softly, catching the man's attention. "Could you please put me down now?"

"Oh! Of course."