𝟒. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐁𝐨𝐝𝐲

————————————————————————

𝐍𝐀𝐍𝐂𝐘 stayed at Mavis's house for a short amount of time after the incident that occurred in the woods.  Nancy seemed to be way more shaken up than Mavis, but they were both equally worried for Barbara.  Nancy continually asked Mavis if she could try and describe what she saw, but Mavis was unsuccessful.  It all happened so fast, there was no way she was able to identify it.

Mavis worried about how dangerous it would be to try and find Barbara, and thought it would be best to get the police involved instead.  Mavis valued Nancy's bravery but felt that if they continued to search for Barbara, it could lead to danger.  Nancy eventually left the Harrington household, wanting to leave before Steve arrived.  Mavis wasn't exactly comfortable with being home by herself, having no idea where her parents could be.  

It was hours later, around 9:00 P.M by the time Steve had arrived home.  Mavis was on the couch, eating some green grapes as she heard the front door open.  She dreaded the idea of him bringing Tommy and Carol home as well, knowing she'd be ignored all night.  Thankfully, they were not with him.  Steve came in a little bit sweaty, probably from his basketball game, and tossed all his stuff on the counter as he entered the living room and spotted his sister.

"Oh, there's the girl who didn't come to my game," Steve said, half pissed, half joking.

"It's silly how that's the thing you focus on." Mavis popped another grape into her mouth.

"I can't control how my brain works." Steve walked over to the couch, picked up his sister's legs and sat down next to her, then placed her legs on his lap.

"You didn't wash your hands." Mavis threw a grape at him, he somehow caught it, sticking it in his mouth.

"I'll do it later.  Now, tell me, what were you and Nancy doing?  Like I said earlier, you guys aren't even friends." Steve asked suspiciously, still chewing on the grape.

"None of your business." Mavis shrugged, not looking at him.

"Was it about me?" Steve asked accusingly, "You were talking about me, weren't you."

"Dude, it had nothing to even do with you." Mavis scoffed, hating how full of it he was.

"Then why can't you just tell me?  You guys literally ditched me last minute and won't even tell me why?" Steve seemed slightly frustrated that both his sister and girlfriend bailed on him.

"Lord, please.  Just... ask Nancy tomorrow if want to know so bad." Mavis said.

"Fine, I will." Steve pushed Mavis's legs off of him and stood up from the couch, beginning to leave the room but Mavis stopped him.

"Do you even care?" Mavis stood up too, but accidentally knocked over the bowl of grapes in the process.  Steve stopped, turning around to see the angry look on his sister's face.